[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - 60s Astro Boy - Translation or "Fill In The Blank"

60s Astro Boy - Translation or "Fill In The Blank"

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

60s Astro Boy - Translation or "Fill In The Blank"

Postby RevWaldo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 am

HI! New visitor here, with a basic question I've always wondered about -

I've been catching up on my 60s Astro Boy thanks to Adult Swim (& all hail TiVo!) Were the redubs into English actually based on translations of the original Japanese scripts? You get the feeling after watching several episodes that for the English version (credited to Fred Ladd) they simply took the images from the Japanese version and filled in dialogue to match. Not to say that's easy to do, but some of the resulting story lines - talking as a fan here - come off as surreal, nonsensical, and/or just plain dumb. I recently finished reading the Buddha series, so when I'm watching Astro Boy all I can think is "Come on! Tezuka must've written something better than that!"

(Off-topic: a funny story from a scriptwriter tasked to do "fill in the blank" rewrite: http://www.wfmu.org/LCD/19/bomb.html - warning: contains a few naughty words.)
RevWaldo

Postby strobe_z » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:34 am

Hi RevWaldo - nice to have you join us.

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure Fred Ladd did basically exactly what you think he did... he made it up. That's the impression I got after reading the Astro Boy Essays anyway. While you're right, Tezuka could've written something better, I think it's important to point out that Tezuka set out to give the original Astro Boy anime a shot at being syndicated in English. He also purposely "dumbed down" a lot of his stories to appeal to a wider T.V. viewing audience than the original manga stories.

I'm far from the Astro Boy expert around here though - perhaps Jeffbert will be able to shed more light on the subject.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:39 am

Maybe Fred just didn't all the access he needed for proper translations? :O

You know, like unforseen issues with bringing the show over.
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Potato » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:18 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby cmoon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:04 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:21 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby putrocca » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Tetsuwan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby RevWaldo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:33 pm

Sorry for replying late (running around for the holidays) - thanks to everyone for their replies! Sounds like I should check out the Astro Boy Essays!
RevWaldo

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Return to Astro Boy