[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Versions of Early Astro Boy Stories

Versions of Early Astro Boy Stories

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Versions of Early Astro Boy Stories

Postby James Moar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 am

James Moar

Postby strobe_z » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Heck of a good first post...

Absolutely. If you can provide some scans as well that would be fantastic. We're always interested in Tezuka research, and the fact that he's known to have re-drawn stories many times in an attempt to "fix" them is of particular interest.

I'm sure Jeffbert would love to be involved in that kind of project as well. Have you seen his

His review of Astro Boy's Parents is This may help you out as well...
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Kevin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:11 pm

I never knew this :D
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby strobe_z » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby James Moar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:44 pm

James Moar

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:35 pm

This is all new to me, even though Fred Schodt did mention Tezuka's habit of revising things for just about every new collection printed. My main impression from reading the was that he revised the drawings, as sometimes he used other artists to draw backgrounds and such. Fred talks about their various styles on page 49, for example.

So, in that last post, you are speaking of the other version and mention the English vers only as necessary.

Please tell me about 'Electro' or "Lightning Man," as I understand it that “Ishinomori’s cross-hatched backgrounds are easily identifiable in the 1955 episode ‘Electro’” (Schodt, 49).
Jeffbert

Postby James Moar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:28 pm

Jeffbert,

When I say "the original", I mean the version in "Osamu Tezuka Complete Works". When I say the "Sunday version", I mean the one in the "Sunday Comics" edition, which was used for the English translation.

I suppose there could be changes between the actual original and the version in the Complete Works, though the much more self-consistent art suggests there aren't. Even if there are, though, it's clearly an earlier draft than the Sunday version.

I'm sorry, I only have these two volumes on hand to put side-by-side, and they don't include "Electro". "Ambassador Atom", "Atom's Parents" and "Gaseous Beings" are the only shared ones.
James Moar

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm

:oops: Thanks for the data.
Jeffbert

Postby James Moar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Sorry I've let this slide so long -- I plan to do the writeup for Captain Atom at the weekend.

Tezuka's official website has the first few pages of the original version of Captain Atom available for free here: http://dres4.ebookbank.jp/sc/view3/samp ... index.html -- two pages of a different introduction by Tezuka, the same first four pages that were in the translated version, then it starts a bit that got skipped entirely.
James Moar

Postby James Moar » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:48 pm

James Moar

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 am

8) Wow! You have really blown me away with all those differences. I need to update my Ambassador Atom page!

Please take a look at it; I admit that I must update many of the images since the demise of Tezuka Osamu World. :lol:
Jeffbert

Postby James Moar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:07 pm

James Moar

Postby ASTROBUDDY » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am

Wow! Reading your posts, I'm glad to know someone else knows what I have known for some time now: that the translated version of "Atom Taishi" was not a complete version nor was it the original version! As was noted in the old Tezuka World page for "Captain Atom" the version currently available closest to the original version is the version reprinted in the Kodansha "Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu" which apparently you have! It is good to see someone who has a grasp of the Japanese language help explain the differences in the original version and the version readily available in English! I was very disappointed when I read the version in Dark Horse's collection and referred back to the version I have, which I recognized as the same one in that website you referred to in your post! Now if only someone would translate and publish that version! (Unfortunatley Kodansha has no plans of publishing any of Tezuka works in English as they did with the English editions of Princess Knight!) Although I do have a rudimentary knowledge of Japanese I am not proficient enough to translate such a long work! I have translated small paragraphs like episode synopses from Roman Album No. 7: Memories of Mighty Atom! I congratulate you on your work!
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASTROBUDDY

Tezuka reader

Postby Kevin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:05 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Return to Astro Boy