[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Astroboy 80s/2003 equivalent 60s episodes comparison?

Astroboy 80s/2003 equivalent 60s episodes comparison?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Astroboy 80s/2003 equivalent 60s episodes comparison?

Postby Omega Factor » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Omega Factor

Postby strobe_z » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:09 am

Some of the things Kevin says are new to me, but I will deal with that later. For now, I will say that I have a master table with about 20 columns that shows the various versions of the stories. I have yet to add the Jetter Mars versions :P though.

However, because I worked many hours on this, I am not willing to share the table itself; I do provide the data for individual stories on their own pages (see the links on ). BTW, I should have asked if those links were visible or not, as this site does not automatically color them blue. I had to manually color the above link. 8) Even if I wanted to web publish this table, TIE has a fixed page width that would make that very awkward.

I expect to add the data for the other episodes eventually, though. Many episodes contain plot elements taken from others, even though the overall plots are different. In God of Comics, Natsu Onada Power notes that Tezuka borrows from many sources (I intend to create a page on this, & there is a thread somewhere on this forum).

However, I might be willing to share my data on individual stories for which I have not created review pages. I am hoping that somebody will publish my Astroboy book once I finish it, so do not be surprised if I say no.
Jeffbert

Postby Amrith » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:27 pm

All the story about Fox involvement in the scripts is phantasm.
All was written by guys selected by Tezuka Productions.

The only things that Fox has done with the 2003 series are :

- to crap the music and sound with poor techno
- to cut one minute and half of footage per episode in order to place more advertisements
- to throw away one complete episode which was a tribute to 'Peter Pan'
- to change some dialogues for artificially aging Astro
- to sell its rotten version all around the world and gain the money instead of the authors

And only when the series was already fully completed.
The era in which Carl Macek rewrote - aka destroyed with his dirty hands - all the (initially) good anime series from Japan is finished since a long time. Now the demolition process takes the "discrete" form of the reedit. The "Fox exec'" did nothing artistically in this affair, they were just business-men and partisans of censure.
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:48 am

Amrith I have DVD commentary interview with Tezuka execs and writers that directly contradicts what you said.

Fox did have involvement, because FOX was a co-producing company. From the mouths of the tezuka execs without Fox's money there wouldn't have been a 2003 series because nobody else was helping to pick up the ball.

Now Fox's involvement was light. But they did give some direction, because they did have board meetings on the issue. Also some episodes were re-written in translation. You just can't deny that.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:39 am

I have both the Korean set (1-19, 21-25), & the Sony English language version. I admit that if the latter has any extras, I have not yet viewed them. But, why would Fox be involved with a series shown on Kids WB?

I will admit that it was, if I find anything proving it; but still, it seems odd.

BTW, not even the J-language Korean version has Eternal Boy.
Jeffbert

Postby Omega Factor » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Jeffbert - thank you for taking the time to reply.

The link your provided though, does not answer my query, as I am after a list of the 80s series, and which 60s episodes they correlate to, not 60 Japanese vs 60 English.

On that note also, the link you provide, shows 60s, US vs 60s Japanese, which provides only a 60s list of the 104 over all, and not the orignal list of 193 Japanese. This isn
Omega Factor

Postby Amrith » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 pm

What you describe is the standard role of a producer.

I know that dialogues were rewritten in order to make Astro like a teen instead of a schoolboy, but despite some editing cuts, the scenarii seem to be the same in the two versions, no ? If it's not the case, we need someone to dig deeper that matter. Where are the modifications ?
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Omega Factor » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Jeffbert - you make an interesting point.. I should refer to the Manga -> 60s -> 80s -> 03s, and not just start with the 60s animated!!

Hmm ok, and nice info about the web archives, as I work in IT, I should know better!

BTW - are there any releases out there of the Japanese 60s (193 episodes) with subtitiles? I'm going to miss a lot without them..

I also know the the guy who edited the 60s DVD for MADMAN, and they Japanese and English 60s differ quite a bit it seems. I have yet to see them all!

If I wasn't writing my own epic movie, I'd put together an Astro review also.. but as you seem well on your way, I'll kick back and enjoy!

BTW - It occured to me when I wrote my last post what Tezuka set out to do! He set out to change the world, by education the children, who would become the world's future.. by giving them the correct ethical foundations, I think he thought he could change the world for the better!!
Omega Factor

Postby ASTROBUDDY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 am

Hi, Omega Factor! Jeffbert has done a wonderful job comparing the different versions of the many Astro Boy episodes, but I just thought I would add my list of 80's Astro Boy episodes and their 60's equivalents! I use the word equivalents to denote not only the episodes which are more or less remakes, but also the episodes that were the inspiration for and the episodes that have elements of a particular episode, but are not exact remakes! I will start the list off by listing the 80's episode first! Then next to it the 60's equivalent! Where I could find no equivalent I will place the following: (N/E). This does not mean that there is no equivalent! It only means that there was known that I know of! (I am not that familiar with the episodes not English-dubbed!) First let me say that the Atlas episodes with the exception of "The Robot Vikings" seem to have no direct equivalents with the exception of course of "Don Tay's Infernal Machine" (aka "Atlas") and "The Blue Knight"(parts one & two), elements of which were used to create the Atlas character for the 80's series! The following is my list of comparisans of 80's/ 60's Astro Boy!

1.) The Birth of Astroboy 1.) The Birth of Astro Boy
2.) Atom vs. Atlas 26.) Don Tay's Infernal Machine &
(179 & 180) The Blue Knight
3.) The Robot Circus 1.) The Birth of Astro Boy
4.) Save the Classnmate N/E
5.) Atlas Lives Again No exact equivalent
6.)Robot Land 9.) Hulabaloo Land
7.) Frankenstein 2.) Colosso
8.) The Red Cat 39.) The Mysterious Cat
9.) The Crystal of the Desert N/E
10.) The Robot President 43.) Ditto
11.) The White Planet 8.) Silver Comet
12.) Goliath's Head N/E
13.) The Light Ray Robot 6.) Zero, the Invisible Robot
14.) Uran, the Tomboy 25.) Strange Birthday Present
15.) Robio and Robiette 148.) Robio & Robiette
16.) Astroboy fights Aliens 3.) Expedition to Mars
17.) Save the Carolina 3 57.) Vikings
18.) The Rainbow Comet N/E
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
ASTROBUDDY

Tezuka reader

Postby ASTROBUDDY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:56 am

19.) The Death Balloon 104.) The Devil's Balloon
20.)The Transformation Robot 5.) Cross Island
21.) The Wreck of the Titan 11.) Strange Voyage
22.) The Liar Robot N/E
23.) The Girl from Alsoar 6.) Grass Boy
24 & 25) Greatest Robot in the World/116 & 117.) Greatest Robot on Earth
26.) The Robot Vikings 15.) Gangor the Monster
27.) The Time Machine 11.) The Time Machine
28.) The Robot Stuntman N/E
29.) The Great Meltdown N/E
30.) Uran's Twin 25.) Strange Birthday Present
31.) Speeding through the Storm 141.) March of the Locomotives (?)
32.)The Return of Queen Cleopatra 45.) Return of Cleopatra
33.) The Runaway Subway Train N/E
34.) The Baby Elephant, Pook 51.) Jimbo the Great
35.) The Secret of Bee City 53.) Dogma Palace
36.) The Monster of Clarken N/E (?)
37.) Lilly on Peligro Island 22.) Sea Serpent Isle
38.) The Anti-Proton Gun N/E
39.) The Man-Made Solar Sphere 12.) The Artificial Sun
40.) Blackie Young 13.) Deep Freeze
41.) The Genie from Outer Space 19.) The Cosmic Giant
42.) The Robots Nobody Wanted 83.) The Three Robotiers
43.) Atlas Forever N/E (?)
44.) The Snow Leopard 52.) The Snow Lion
45.) Uran's Quest N/E
46.) Outer Spaceport R-45 21.) Satellite R-45
47.) The Hi-Jacked Air Ship N/E
48.) The Human-Faced Rock N/E
49.) Uran falls in Love N/E
50.) The World of Odin 93.) Jungle Mystery
51.) The Secret of the Mayas 4.) The Sphinx
52.) Astroboy's First Love 62.) Attack from Space

(The last one is not an exact remake, but has a vague similarity to the 60's episode I mention in that the 60's episode is about a friend of Astro Boy's and the 80's version makes the relationship more romantic in nature!) One last thing! Some of the 80's episodes while not having a 60's equivalent are based on some of Tezuka's manga episodes that were not adapted in the 60s! Again for more detail checkout Jeffbert's episode summaries! They carry lots of information and are an excellent source for Tezuka related material!
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASTROBUDDY

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to Astro Boy