[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Astroboy 80s/2003 equivalent 60s episodes comparison?

Astroboy 80s/2003 equivalent 60s episodes comparison?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:59 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:14 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:11 am

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 am

Check these threads:

Astroboy coming to Kids WB:

Kids WB drops Astroboy:

I never heard anything about any afternoon showings. Sometimes the guys in those interviews are wrong.
Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:15 am

I might've been watching it on toonami.

I am sorry, Jeffbert. I obviously got my channels messed up in my brain. pls 4giv

well, I've got no excuse for Cartoon Network.

The only bad business I know about CN is that Gendy and Craig had a major falling out with CN's Execs - it was so bad that Powerpuff Girls final season was cut mid-production, remaining episodes of Grim and Mandy were either shelved or altered into special cartoon movies, the final season of Samurai Jack was never aired until after it reached Boomerang.

But to my knowledge Craig and Gendy had nothing to do with AstroBoy 2003. So unless their fallingout with CN happened as a result of a CEO changeover, I've got nothing to justify AstroBoy's cancellation before the final season.

The "Darkness" of the show couldn't have anything to do with Astro's cancellation because we're talking about a network whose top shows were a Samurai killing a Demon Sorcerer while saving aliens (not humans), a show about a kid who turns into 10 different alien warriors, Justice League Unlimited (talk about dark, they show an evil Superman Lobotomizing people).... dark definitely had nothing to do with Astro's cancellation.

Kid's WB makes sense to me now. Warner Brothers owns Cartoon Network. They did share shows more than once. So that explains the whole afternoon Astro + Kids WB.

See... I'm just even more confounded now. The whole dark angle just doesn't explain the cancellation. Cartoon Network thrives on dark cartoons..... but you know what....

Jeffbert I ask you to consider Astro's cancellation might have been beyond CN's control.

When 1960s AstroBoy was being run on Adult Swim I distinctly remember a "bump" card where a messageboard user asked Cartoon Network if they had rights to any other Astro Boy incarnation. Adult Swim stated that they don't and never will have rights to any other AstroBoy.

It was a very odd bump.

Since CN did have 2003 Asto, that brings it to my mind.

Do you think that it's possible Cartoon Network got burned in their deal? Do you think there was something that screwed them over?
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:10 am

I would not think that CN would be interested in running the 2003 series in a different time, either toonami or Adult Swim, as it was dubbed & edited for kids. Still, the B&W was likely intended for Saturday mornings, but even then, Ladd & co. created names whose significance was lost on kids. Baron Hoodwink, & Pr. Usurper meant little if anything to the main audience; perhaps they expected that parents would watch with their kids.

Granted, I know very little about Toonami, so, I am speculating. The B&W version had some politically incorrect content that may have given it the appeal to put it on AS in the 1st place. Yet, I really have no idea why they ran it, other than that, which is mere speculation.

I do know that there are many old cartoons that have been branded as too offensive to blacks or other minorities to be shown again. I have seen some on really poor quality downloads, & they are really funny, so it is a shame that people are so sensitive. On the other hand, I can relate to being offended by people making fun of my minority characteristic.
Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm

There've been a lot of requests for the entire AstroBoy line 60s - 80s - 2003and Cartoon Network's response to those requests has been almost violent. I think something else is at play here concerning astroboy rights.

I mean they run The Brak Show, which is as infantile as you can get, with lower ratings than anything else. I LOVE The Brak Show but it's definitely not better than Astro 2003.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:25 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 am

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:12 am

:lol: I grabbed the frames & moreover, also have some from 11/22 Venture Brothers that feature a support group of boy adventurers, including "Ro-Boy" a very obvious parody of Astroboy.

:lol: In the end, Ro-Boy asked Jonny Quest's ex-nemesis Dr. Zin to adopt him. :P
Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 pm

haha awesome. I was wondering if you watched last weeks :D

Ok so I take it you said you saw the bumps where Adult Swim said that the only astro is the B&W astro? I just wanted to make sure.

Sorry about not grabbing a photo, I've had headache after headache the past week and I just forgot.

However if I misread what you said and if you still need me to take a picture I can do that :)

I just love the Venture Brothers.

8)
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby ASTROBUDDY » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:50 am

[quote="Jeffbert"]Sorry I had forgotten about this thread, guys! I am glad you have taken up the examination of the archived pages I listed above. If I may, I will add a few comments.

Most of the comparisons are ok, but a few exceptions:

[list=1]
[*]42.) The Robots Nobody Wanted 83.) The Three Robotiers-- there are some common things about these two, but they are very different. There was no element of robots being disposable in the Robotiers.
[*]50.) The World of Odin 93.) Jungle Mystery-- not much common here, Jungle Mystery is an animated version of 1 of 2 known comic stories that were either lost or simply not included in any recent collection.
[*]52.) Astroboy's First Love 62.) Attack from Space-- Astroboy's First Love is really a remake of a story originating in the Jetter Mars series.
[*]36.) The Monster of Clarken -- 84.) The Dolphin Civilization--The only thing common between these two is the name of the little merboy or dolphin. I know the Tezuka site's English language pages call him 'Pippy', but his name is really 'pipi.' BTW, he also appears as a female in [i]Triton of the Sea[/i].
[/list]

Enough for now, this site is very slow at this time.[/quote]

I think you are being to literal in your assessment of the episodes! First, I based my assessment re; "Robots Nobody Wanted" and "The 3 Robotiers" on the fact that the Japanese title of "R.N.W." is "Onward! Three Musketeer Trash" (or "Three Trashy Musketeers") which I believe refers to the comeradery of the three main robots Astroboy helps! In this way there is a similarity, however minute! Remember in picking these episodes I did so when there appeared to be a similarity in theme or characters, and not just those who were obviously remakes of an earlier episode, as in the case of "Strange Voyage" and "The Wreck of the Titan"! "The World of Odin" & "Jungle Mystery" both take place in lands that time has forgotten! So there is a slight similarity! (Again here I took my cue from the translations of the Japanese titles!) As for "Astro's First Love", since "Attack from Space" came first, the Jetter Mars episode may be a variation on it. After all Bemu (or Beemo) and Nuka are essentially robot bombs who befriend Astro Boy and both give up their existence so that he may survive! Any way, you are entitled to your opinion, but I still maintain that these episodes are equivalents because of their similarities, no matter how slight! At least that is my opinion and I welcome your comments!
ASTROBUDDY

Tezuka reader

PreviousNext

Return to Astro Boy