[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Rate Astro Boy the Movie

Rate Astro Boy the Movie

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

10%
5%
10%
24%
38%
14%

Total votes : 21

Rate Astro Boy the Movie

Postby Kevin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:10 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Manetoys » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:12 am

I gave it 4 - 4 1/2 stars. It was fun, kept well in Astro's character and Tezuka's message, and full of good action. Though it WAS a little predictable.
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Tetsuwan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am

I give it 4-4 1/2. There were a few things I could nit pick but overall I really enjoyed it. The humor was at certain times subtle and Tezuka overall message was definitely made clear throughout. I liked how there was an even balance of action and calm points in between (taking focus away from the action). Little things like seeing the Pig Gourd and seeing Tezuka appear multiple times throughout made it worthwhile. For those that haven't seen it yet look at the billboards during the chase sequences for the Pig Gourd.

I do think that the characters were off model for the movie (but that's what you get when transferring 2D characters to 3D). Still the wide variation between the character designs were great, it really gave the impression of being taken from a Tezuka manga. I just wish they spent a little more time on a few of the characters (Astroboy wasn't always in full profile for example).

It was still a great movie but due to these little things a 4-4 1/2.
With every life starts a new beginning. With every new story starts a new chapter
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:40 pm

The pig gourd was on the billboards?! ARRGGGGHHHH I Swear I looked for him but I just didn't see him.

I knew he was in the movie.

lol

Mom loved the film we might see it again :) She gives it 5 stars I give it 4 1/2 :D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:58 am

Despite the fact that I was pleased with this film, I rated it only 3-3.5. Most of my pleasure is from the very fact that they even made a film. There were sub plots that were not from the Astroboy corpus, & this fact, rather than using those, is why I rate it so low. As a fan who had been led to expect that this film would be true to the earlier versions or something of this sort, I was disappointed.

Ok, the story was good, it just was not in keeping with earlier versions. Putting the Stolen Sun on the trailer was a bit deceptive, as this is not actually in the film. I defer from any explanation, as it will be obvious once one sees the film.
Jeffbert

Postby Unico » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

Barely worth it is about how I feel. I'm completely fine with the idea of it being an original take on the story, but like how Jeffbert said, I didn't feel like it was really trying to be another take of the story beyond a few tiny details.

As for it being an enjoyable story anyway, it wasn't to me. It kept feeling like they were trying to go through the motions of how alot of other movie types go; the forced dramatic parts, the typical action sequences, and of course all those mildly funny moments. It just didn't feel very original, and sort of didn't make sense alot of the time.

The distinction between how that robots having feelings makes some people like them and some want to get rid of them really isn't mentioned, the antagonist just wants to win an election, he's perfectly fine with robots, and since the idea of them having feelings isn't mentioned he can't dislike them because of it. It made times when Astro saves a human not stand out as him defending both sides like in other versions and just made it seem like he's being some stereotypical superhero following his "destiny".

There are other issues I have with how they made Astro come across, but I probably wouldn't mind if only the plot itself didn't fall so short. It makes me wonder how different it would have been if the original director didn't leave. Anyway, I rate it a 2.5 if merely for having the characters.
Unico

Postby Princess Sapphire » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I enjoyed it. It has plenty of merit when viewed for its own worth separate from any of the mangas and anime series.

I would have liked Shunsuku Ban to have had some significant role in the story but apart from that it was great.

Without giving too much away did anybody else think that the primary villain and his right hand man looked like they may have been modelled upon Tick and Tuck?
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:07 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby F-Man » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 am

As an aside, all you fine folks rating the movie should go ahead and rank it along with other Tezuka films you've seen in . I just added some Phoenix movies to my own list but forgot about Astro Boy, oops! Next time then; I haven't even thought about where I'd rank it yet.

I don't know how to rank it out of 5 either. I thought the movie was very flawed with humour that often missed its mark, a general lack of subtlety and boring unnecessary new characters. But at the end of the day, it's still Astro Boy, a little boy robot flying around, shooting at a big bad guy, with more perilous situations than I expected.

It also helps a lot that they didn't shy away at genuinely sad moments (some from the manga/anime, some new), but I hated how they were always followed by comic relief that felt out of place. Disney once said that for every laugh there should be a tear. This movie flips it upside down and it's a forced comedic interaction for every tear instead. In fact the entire plot about the orphans seems to come out of fear that children in the audience would find it too horrifying to see Astro being rejected by his father, so they had to show orphans who are proud of being what they are and avoid any trauma.

This is still definitely one of those situations where I am more forgiving on account of being a fanboy. Sort of how I like the first Resident Evil movie and Resident Evil Degeneration, and all the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons.
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kevin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:42 am

Sonic the Hedgehog on ABC was really good cartoon.

F-Man I think you're being a little harsh on Astro as a children's flick. Maybe you were expecting a more adult themed movie?

But in the end I am glad you liked it :)
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby F-Man » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 am

Many of the very best flicks of all time are for children. A lot of my favorites are. I think Pinocchio is the best movie I have ever seen. Tezuka's Astro Boy manga and anime were made partly to teach lessons to kids, while staying relevant (and yes, funny as well) to adults.
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Re: Rate Astro Boy the Movie

Postby omega.factor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 am

I found the world they created to be a little absurd!
omega.factor

Tezuka reader

Postby Toshio Tenma » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:55 am

I personally don't liked it.
Dr. Tenma wasn't even like the original who is a scientist grieving with the death of his own son during a traffic accident which occurred even in the prototype of Captain Atom.

Also, the story could prevent the birth of Uran and so on.

Tezuka doesn't seem quite pleased with this movie for what I read and they don't count as part of the time-line.

Ironic is that Imagi tried a Zelda movie, but Nintendo said "no, thanks".

Considering how it was different from the original and could be really bad, that was a good choice.
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby britters » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Ok no. Nononoooo. I thought I was radically bad. I have this odd obsession with smily villains :mrgreen: in nice suits but Hamegg was not in a nice slik, he was not smily enough and he wasn't even a convincing bad guy! He was waaaay too nice. And don't get me started on his outfits. What does this have to do with the movie overall? A lot. It lacked the sleekness that tezuka so good at. Everything looked stitched together and sub par. The robots were unappealing an the actual bad guy was lame. All and I mean ALL of the holocaust symbolism was completely absent and so we're the symbols of racism. Tezuka was an intellect and his stories all have deep profound meaning, and this was a flat, typical, safe children's movie. An after school special. I was so... bored. I'm so unhappy about it. I just hope this movie doesn't seal astro boys fate as being seen as a passerby in the history of animation. But bleh... :| I didn't like it. Ok I'm done now. :)
britters

Return to Astro Boy