[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - (2009) Movie Adaptation paperback

(2009) Movie Adaptation paperback

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

(2009) Movie Adaptation paperback

Postby AstroBBoy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 am

Has anyone purchased the (2009) Movie Adaptation paperback?

It's been on my amazon wish list for a while and I'm just unsure if I should get it or not.
What's the artwork like?

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Boy-Movie-A ... KDLUPO4PVN
AstroBBoy

Tezuka reader

Re: (2009) Movie Adaptation paperback

Postby AstroBBoy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 am

Oh yeah, and what about the "movie prequel". Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Boy-Movie-P ... pd_sim_b_1
AstroBBoy

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 am

Personally I would run away from this like the plague. The movie was kinda okay but merchandise made for it is all crummy.

Astro Boy Online might have a few topics about those books.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=astro+boy ... =firefox-a
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby AstroBBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks for the link. I had a look and someone on the astroboy online forum made a comment that it reminded them of the old "Now Comics" Astro Boy series.
Which brought back good/bad memories for me. I remember being excited to find/buy these but totally disappointed in the artwork.

http://www.tripoetry.com/Comics4$/Cover ... Boy.01.jpg

So yeah, I guess if the artwork is like that, these books might fall into the completists only category.
AstroBBoy

Tezuka reader

Postby AprilSeven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 am

I don't think I would put it on the level of Now Comics, but they drew the characters after the style of the 2009 movie - not from Tezuka's original manga or anime. If you would enjoy a graphic novel interpretation of the movie, you might find this to be okay. Astro doesn't look like a child as much as a teen - but it's clear they tried to emulate the style of the movie. Now Comics was stunningly disturbing, because they took the plot and characters into their own hands and turned it into something pretty much of their own creation (I'd almost say it was like a bad fanfic!!)

DO beware of what is called the movie "prequel" - that makes NO sense what so ever, as the timeline is jumbled and it's a goofy story.
AprilSeven

Tezuka reader

Postby AstroBBoy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for the extra detail.
I think I might check it out if it's cheap enough.
AstroBBoy

Tezuka reader

Return to Astro Boy