[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Astro Girl

Astro Girl

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Metropolisforever » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:19 am

THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby strobe_z » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:01 am

I think perhaps you're mixing up the concept of being "cute" and "sexy". I'd say that Uran is cute and every example you brought up is easily explained if you think that Tezuka was portraying her "innocence".

Tezuka didn't need to include Uran as a "sex symbol" - he was very aware that his manga was read by very different age groups. He has adult focused material, and he deals with sex, love, death, rebirth and a whole host of other concepts in more detail in there. His Astro Boy, Kimba and other stories deal with some of these concepts, but always with the knowledge that his primary audience were younger children. I think it's the fact that he couches "adult" themes in concepts that attract children (like robots and lions!) that makes his manga enjoyable on many levels - for kids of all ages!

As for the so-called "topic" of this thread. I don't think that Astro Girl would've worked as well as a main character. She's very much a foil for Astro - it's her precotious nature that moves the story forward, but it's all about how Astro is gonna sort it all out.

Having said that.. have you ever hear of "Astro Cat"? He's my avatar!
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Amrith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:35 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby Huscheli » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:52 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:54 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Amrith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:10 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby jonerik » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:45 pm

The 2003 series was superb. Even edited for American standards and with the degree of interference they had to put up with from the American side of things it's really a remarkable series. The artwork is top-notch (and I mean top-notch), the stories are compelling, and the usual friends and foes from other Tezuka works make appearances. It's a real shame more people didn't have a chance to see it when it was airing here.
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby Metropolisforever » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com
Can I make it any clearer?

There are lots of Astro Boy 2003 fansubs on Youtube.

There are several fansubs of the 2003 Astro Boy series on Youtube.

I still haven't watched it, yet.

I have only seen the 1960's Astro Boy series.

mod: more posts consolidated
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Huscheli » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:06 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:16 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:07 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am

Yes. They're completely right! Those kinds of panty shots are meant to be cute and not sexy. They're just little girls! Have pity on them! Don't look at them that way! That's too much! They're completely innocent! Besides, in American cartoons like The Little Lulu Show, you can see panty shots all the time!

To be honest, this isn't Tezuka talkng anymore. I don't he'll ever do such a thing.
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:00 am

here is a cute one
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 pm

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

PreviousNext

Return to Astro Boy