[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - What's your favorite episode of Astro Boy?

What's your favorite episode of Astro Boy?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

What's your favorite episode of Astro Boy?

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Episode 7: Zero, the Invisible Robot was brilliant!

It was insane and really warped, and I loved it!
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby strobe_z » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:17 pm

Mine's "The Greatest Robot in the World" two-parter. Hands down.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:51 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:01 pm

I know its crazy, but I rather like the plot of the GBA game--unlike so many video game conversions I like how the game actually worked as a synthesis of the manga and animes including the time-travel and the inclusion of the 60's ending that can then be 'remade' through time-travel (+ the aid of the phoenix) to redo certain things.

I can't pull out a particular story off the top of my head, but I do really love some of the manga stories that were more or less discrimination stories in disguise and the abuse that humans were laying on the robots. Here I think Tezuka uses Astro's status as a 'boy' to great effect, making him more sympathetic figure in a future world that cannot quite extend its humanity to robots.

Its far easier to name my least favorite (though I also can't think of any particular stories)--there's a fair number of these that are just grind and chug action adventure for the kiddies, and these I often feel miss the mark.

Oh god, that 80's episode where there are two Uran's...that's...the ONE! :shock: (best, cutest moment ever!)
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Amrith » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:30 pm

The one with a dictator - he has the face of Adolf Hitler - who wants to clone his shadow in order to become immortal and control the giant country forever. To access his goal, he kidnaps an old friend of Dr. Ochanomizu, a scientist who has a robot engaged in a militia. Astro comes in the country during the story - because Dr. Ochanomizu falled in a trap out there.
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 am

Yeah, that one's a good one. It's one of my favorites, but I still prefer the Greatest Robot in the World.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby roryheadmav » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 pm

roryheadmav

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:16 pm

I really like the FuhrerZZZ manga section and the way it ties into later Phoenix and Vampires plotlines. In the 2003 anime I'm very interested by the Phoenix two parter, but it wasn't actually that well done. I agree the plot of the GBA game was fabulous. And I like the 1980 episode where Astro's class takes a fieldtrip to space - I want to take a fieldtrip to space!

Of course, these days my favorite Astro Boy story is Pluto ("The Greatest Robot in the World", but that's largely Naoki Urasawa's fault, not just Tezuka's.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Path » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm not sure if this was animated, but the manga episode with the alien Bem and the fridge that was a bomb is my favorite.
We will meet again, when the loops of time touch.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Several different animated adaptations of the alien bomb idea were done, but none reproducing that exactly, so far as I know. So the idea was used, but not the exact story. A sentient bomb was one of Tezuka's favorite recurring ideas, as a way to explore how humans create things and throw them away so callously.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:35 am

Greatest Robot in the World: it's the first epic-fight saga in manga's history, and the reason why I started to collenct Astroboy. An action-packed, dramatic story with lots of changes in the plot (some of them quite cheesy, but they don't affect the average quality of the story). The only weak point is that it ends too fast.

And it inspired Pluto, the most awaited manga in my country at the moment (we'll have it published in March).
Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 pm

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Metropolisforever » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 pm

THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 am

Well, as for me, I love Episode 26: Doctor Black Jack's Operation. I enjoyed seeing the cameo! It was real weird though that he was riding that broom stick. It looked like it hurt a lot!
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Next

Return to Astro Boy