[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Atom vs Astro

Atom vs Astro

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Atom vs Astro

Postby David » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:12 am

David

Re: Atom vs Astro

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Mamath » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 am

Looking to trade Tezuka gashapon! I have spare Amazing Three (x2), Blackjack (x1) and Princess Knight (series 1 x1) pieces. Looking for the rest. Please PM me if interested!
Mamath

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:01 am

I have a tendancy to call him Atom as well. For me though, that comes from getting a lot of Tezuka stuff in Korea. Koreans call him Atom (or sometimes Atom Boy!).

I think I like Atom a bit better, but mainly 'cause I think it works better as a name. I dislike the idea that his English name is a descriptive noun. It sounds unnatural (although his name is often just shortened to "Astro"). Maybe it's because he doesn't have a "Clark Kent" identity and is "Superboy" 24/7.

On the flip side though, I think I like Kimba better than Leo. There is something 'cool' about "Jungle Emperor Leo", but I think "Jungle Emperor Kimba" is just as cool. Leo is just too easy a name to fall back on for a lion character. I just don't think it's as inspired as Tezuka normally is.

What about "Princess Knight"? A literal translation of the title is "Ribbon Princess", right? Again, Princess Knight works well as a title - but it leads to some akward moments (at least in the bilingual kodansha editions). When Sapphire rescues Tink from Lord Nylon's clutches in the forest, she rides up wearing a mask and everyone says "oh, no! it's the Princess Knight", but from the dialogue it seems to indicate that they are unaware they're facing off against a woman (girl?).

Any other name transformations?
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Mamath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:23 am

I also dislike the idea that "Astroboy" is Astro's full name. I've always regarded it as his "superhero name" and "Astro" as his given name. The characters that interact with him in the English dub seem to interchange the name they use based on the formality of the situation and that seems fair enough to me. I just wish he'd been given a proper surname? Especially since he has a family, now that I think about it.

I agree with you about Kimba/Leo. It seems very uncreative to me. But I think that's as much because we are native English speakers as anything else. "Leo" is probably a really cool and unusual name if you are a native Japanese speaker back in the day. I thought calling that human/moopie mayor "Sodom" in Phoenix:Nostalgia was super heavy handed but to someone who hasn't grown up in a largely Christian country that's a pretty cool and obscure reference... Tezuka's core work ages/globalises well, but some of the aesthetic bits and pieces are a bit awkward, huh. :P

Shunsaku/Mustachio... What'd they call him in the 2003 Astroboy? I can't recall off the top of my head. Anyway, he's had a myriad of different names. I've never understood to Uran to Zoran name change in the same series. :| Anyone have an explanation for that?
Looking to trade Tezuka gashapon! I have spare Amazing Three (x2), Blackjack (x1) and Princess Knight (series 1 x1) pieces. Looking for the rest. Please PM me if interested!
Mamath

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Jeffbert

Postby cmoon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:50 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Last edited by Jeffbert on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:09 am

I have to argue with you about O'Shay.

O'Shay was definitely shorter, but Ocha does sound quite a bit like O'Shay (so yes it is changed but it isn't changed -- much), and I also believe Kennedy wasn't that much of a deviation.

So I request that you add an extra list:

Completely Changed
Atomu--------------------------->Astro (3/2) syllables
Shibugaki----------------------->Abercrombie (4/4)
Tamao--------------------------->Alejo (3/3)
Hamegg u------------------------>Grummitt (3/2) not sure about the trailing vowel.
Higeoyaji-(Ban Shunsaku)----->Wally Kisagari (5/4/6) how often did they use only 1 name?
Lamp (Rampu)------------------->Drake (1/2/1)

Very Similar but Changed.
[Kenichi]-------------------------->Kennedy (3/3)
[Ocha]nomizu Hakasan-----------> Doctor O
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Space Sheriff Gavan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Space Sheriff Gavan

Tezuka reader

Postby Potato » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:21 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:03 am

Jeffbert

Next

Return to Astro Boy