[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Sharing a moment!

Sharing a moment!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Sharing a moment!

Postby Kuririn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Okay, so, I have mentioned previously that I'm an ESL teacher, and the day before yesterday I was co-teaching an advanced reading class of eleventh-graders. We were doing an article about "The Aftereffects of War," more specifically Agent Orange, but with some paragraphs related to landmines. Near the end of the class I questioned them on their opinions regarding landmines as a country's self-defense measure.

Me: "Okay, can somebody tell me about how many undetonated land mines are still buried around the world?
Hmmm... 'undetonated'... 'undetonated'-tte wakaru?"
My Co-Teacher: "I don't think they know that word. Please explain."
Me: "Okay. Undetonated...is when someone buries a bomb..."
*makes a "bomb expanding" shape with hands* "...and it doesn't explode."
*makes batsu sign with arms* "No explosion."
Student: *says the word in Japanese*
Me: "Right, so, the undetonated bomb stays in the ground until someone steps on it."

*hestitation*

Me: "...You know, like in Black Jack."
At Least Six People: "Ohhhhhh!"

It was actually a really funny moment. Then after a shocked silence, my co-teacher demanded, "what, really!? Is that how he got all those scars?"

Me:
"Yeah, and his mother was killed, too..."
Her: "HIS MOTHER TOO!!?" *turns to the class* "Black Jack's mother was killed by a landmine! Can you believe that? I never knew...what?? All of you already knew that...?"
Student: "I knew it."
Another: "Me too."
Her: "Black Jack...kawaiisou ne..." (that poor guy...)

Turns out she forgot that detail, having not read it in so long...but I was surprised so many students knew. I guess the anime series has really done some revival work for BJ. When I scribble Sharaku and Higeoyaji on the board in my classroom, someone usually recognizes them from Black Jack appearances (and I inevitably get an acchanburike! Pinoko impression) but take off Sharaku's bandage and they think he's Tenshinhan instead. u.u;
Image "Or the moment
when you know it's over and the nothing which you
have to say is falling all around you, lavishly,
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Re: Sharing a moment!

Postby oceandawn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:30 am

oceandawn

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:35 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kuririn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Image "Or the moment
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby oceandawn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 am

"Accheon buriquet", huh? Maybe Pinoko's catchphrase means "Let's have a barbeque!" :wink: Anyway, reading comics is a fun learning aid when one is trying to master a foreign language. Any of the high school French I still remember is probably from the issues of Tintin I read back then.
oceandawn

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Potato » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:04 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kuririn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 am

Image "Or the moment
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kuririn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 am

Sorry for double posting.

I had that class again today, and today's topic (I swear to you this actually came out of the textbook) was anime and manga as a way to share Japanese culture with other countries. The article itself was about Captain Tsubasa and overseas cosplay, but I opened by saying "Japanese manga and anime has been being translated into other languages since the 1960s" and had drawn a huge Atom on the board. Co-teacher surprised me with her much better Atom drawing which she reeled off in less than 30 seconds in chaulk, but was embarassed by, so she erased it.

We got into a discussion of Tezuka's revolutionizing of the manga industry from there. I've never seen this class so active as they were today...I guess you've just gotta know the right topics. XD They also wrote me recommendations of their favourite titles and why they would recommend that title to a foreigner learning about Japanese culture. Some awesome answers in there...I'm so sad they're finished the course for the year now. D: These kids are amazing, I'll miss them!
Image "Or the moment
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:35 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kuririn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Unfortunately many of them failed to actually pass in what they wrote, and I said "any anime or manga," so I didn't actually get paper copies of the ones that wrote about Leo and Atom (the two I recall seeing people choose). During the opening discussion, though, one student said Tezuka was the main reason manga became so interesting and popular in Japan, and was surprised when I said he wasn't very well-known overseas, at least not in North America outside of fan circles. I asked why she thought that, and she said it was because his stories are interesting but they also make you think about yourself and how you treat others. They have a deeper meaning that many manga lack but aren't in-your-face about it. (This student wrote about Sazae-san for her recommendation, though. XD)

The one who wrote about Jungle Taitei was one of the volunteers who read their paragraph for the class. She said it was a good peace message. I will admit I haven't seen or read Jungle Taitei, with the exception of the movie a very long time ago, but her recommendation (aside from the usual "Leo is very cool and cute" description that I seem to get from every student's description of every admirable male ever - I guess it's a Japan thing) made me want to look it up again.

Surprisingly, the title that got the most recommendations from my class was One Piece. I thought it was getting on in age, but it seems to be the popular thing right now. XD

Oh - and I couldn't believe how many of the kids broke into song when they walked into the classroom and saw the board. 60s version of the Atom theme, but that of course was WAY before their time...it must have rerun quite a lot over the years.
Image "Or the moment
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Return to Black Jack