[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Black Jack the Movie on Scifi

Black Jack the Movie on Scifi

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Black Jack the Movie on Scifi

Postby Tetsuwan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Tomorrow (Monday the 21st) at 11PM, Scfi is broadcasting the Black Jack Movie as part of their Anime Block. This is (to my knowledge) the first Osamu Tezuka movie show on Scifi's Ani-Monday block.

I'm posting this here since the broadcast is on the Scifi Channel, and I'm not sure how wide Scifi's broadcasting range is. I don't know whether it is only in English speaking regions or is one of those exceptions that reach other countries airwaves. So I couldn't decide whether to stick this under English releases, or worldwide.
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:17 am

This is one I've been wanting to see...thanks for the post; it's as good as recorded!
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:32 am

Not that I'm against showing any anime, it still irritates the hell out of me that Sci-Fi, a channel that is SUPPOSED to be devoted for SCIENCE FICTION, has started concentrating on producing and running NON-Science Fiction shows:

*Anime
*Wrestling
*Reality Shows
*Game Shows

However I do hope you all enjoy Black Jack :D
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 am

Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:29 am

True, the original movies are only good for laughs, and even in that way, not too good. Definitely not as funny as the idea of the sci fi channel showing wrestling. It's not one I typically watch (though I guess I could say the same about any channel on TV, considering me).

With the shows outside of the science fiction genre, though, I think the channel is trying to guess what else a regular of their channel watches and provide it there--good or bad guesses, it's just the usual competition and scramble for more viewers around the clock. Is it just me, or when channels use this method, they often stereotype their viewers into a near caricature that actually represents very few? Or does the nature of television box them into doing so?

On the other hand, perhaps...I'm losing the topic. :P
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

!

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 am

I just wish they'd bring back MST3K (hell, they have plenty of material now. They made it themselves), and add the classics that were once part of "Saturday Anime" to their Monday anime night.

Though again, any change would be an improvement.

And, yeah networks do tend to stereotype their viewers. They call it "demographics". It's a term I despise, and refuse to abide by.

But seriously, Sci-fi channel original movies make Lifetime original movies look like Casablanca, by comparison!

They make Manos: The Hands of Fate look like Citizen Kane.

Gigli, and Kangaroo Jack would win academy awards if all their competition were Sci-fi originals.

Ed Wood, himself would sooner set himself on fire than sit through one!

Sci-fi channel originals are like the acid rain of horrible movies! Kevin, I don't care if they're running old "Price is Right" episodes from the '70s. If they're finally showing something other than those stupid movies again, I say you get down on your knees, and thank any deity or supernatural being you can think of (and Duke Davis)!
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:41 pm

There's wrestling on the sci-fi channel? It better be between those mexican-super-hero-wrestlers and space aliens!
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:28 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 am

Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:24 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:13 am

Ok, just saw the movie.

Pretty awesome!

The animation is gorgeous! And the story is quite compelling (and seemed like a sci-fi story to me).

Anybody notice that Pinoko played with Princess Knight and Astro-Boy puzzles?

I can't say how faithful to the manga it is, since I've read little of it (that may change when I encounter Vertical's new translation, though), but I rather enjoyed it.

BTW after seeing the commercials, I gotta agree with you about the wrestling. If the Wrestlers were playing aliens and robots, etc. I'd have given it a passing grade, but that's just ordinary pro-wrestling.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:25 am

what exactly is the black jack movie about?
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 am

WARNING SPOILERS!

(Highlight to read)

For some reason, people are starting to develop superhuman abilities, and it's become a big news story, but what people don't know is that these "superhumans" soon age rapidly, and die horribly for mysterious reasons.

Eventually, Dr. Blackjack is called upon to cure these people, and finds out the disease comes from an experimental drug developed by a standard-issue-evil-corporation.

This drug causes superhuman abilities, and early death, by forcing the pituitary gland to produce more endorphins (sp?) than a human body can handle.

Also, the woman who hired him works for the before-mentioned corporation and is part of the conspiracy.

And yet, despite being completely aware of that, he struggles to find a cure before the thousands of infected people die (also because she has Pinoko).
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 am

Black Jack is awesome :D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby TempuraTokei » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm

If pictures were alive, then they'd be ghosts!

-Black Jack
TempuraTokei

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to Black Jack