[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Black Jack versus Captain Harlock

Black Jack versus Captain Harlock

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Black Jack versus Captain Harlock

Postby Xenops » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:13 am

So I have watched the Captain Harlock anime, and it's hard not to notice the scar across his face or the father-daughter relationship he has with his friend's daughter. And you are probably thinking "well yeah, because Tezuka made Black Jack before Leiji Matsumoto made Captain Harlock, since the former debuted in 1973 and the latter in 1978."

Yes, but according to Wikipedia, Harlock's first appearance was in 1953, in Matsumoto's work "adventures of a honeybee", link here: . Not that the reference to supposed debut date nor the connection to Black Jack are cited.

So, thoughts? Which had the scar first? :P
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 am

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Xenops » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 am

Indeed, and I have none. :( I was depending on your expertise. :p

Though this website says that Harlock was based on a classmate in elementary school, under the section Short Essays from The World of Leiji Matsumoto (Tatsumi Mook, 2005): That section also mentions Matsumoto meeting Tezuka at a young age.

Now, another question: when did Bander Book come out? Because it features Black Jack as a space pirate. :shock: [/url]
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 am

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby grapeofdeath » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 am

I decided I needed a break, so I thought I'd give this one a go. I couldn't find many scans of Leiji's earliest works, but here are a few from Dai Kaizuko Harlock, 1970:
http://www.accessup.org/pj/634/201003192.html

Harlock doesn't have a scar at this point, so I'm assuming it must have come in later portrayals.
grapeofdeath

Tezuka reader

Postby Xenops » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

There you go! Thanks grapeofdeath! :D
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Sevi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 pm

"I'm not in at the moment. If you are in need of medical attention, please leave your name, telephone number, nature of your complaint, seriousness of your condition, and how much you can afford to pay me. I'll get back to you later."
Sevi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Xenops » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Dr. Jerk » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 am

Dr. Jerk

Tezuka Nut

Postby Veepa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Veepa

Tezuka reader

Postby Sevi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:05 am

"I'm not in at the moment. If you are in need of medical attention, please leave your name, telephone number, nature of your complaint, seriousness of your condition, and how much you can afford to pay me. I'll get back to you later."
Sevi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Xenops » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Veepa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 am

Veepa

Tezuka reader

Return to Black Jack