[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Best Black Jack Animation

Best Black Jack Animation

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Which animated version of Black Jack is your favorite?

Black Jack OVA series (1990s)
39%
Black Jack Movie (1990s)
11%
Black Jack TV Series (2003-2005)
32%
Black Jack 21 TV Series (2006-current)
18%

Total votes : 28

Best Black Jack Animation

Postby mippa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:50 am

It seems to be the general view that the Black Jack TV series is the most popular version that we see of Black Jack being animated.

But seeing as all the Black Jack animations were made after Tezuka's death, Tezuka himself never had a direct say in any of the animated productions.

Which version is your favorite? Least favorite? Maybe you prefer having BJ with a different spin from the manga? None of them are exact...
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Hey, you need to save room on there for the new Black Jack TWO DARK DOCTORS movie, which from the trailer alone I'm pretty sure is going to be the best so far.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby mippa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 pm

I associate the TWO DOCTORS movie with the first TV series, since it is supposed to be inside that continuity and has the same production values as the TV series.

The OVA and other movie were two totally different production sets, that is why they are seperate.
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby Path » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:03 am

I've never seen the 90s OVA or movie, so I can't comment on those. But I prefer Black Jack 21 so far (3 episodes) just because it seems to be more serious, with a flowing storyline. Not that I don't love the normal TV series, but many of the storylines are altered to be more "kid friendly". That is fine and all, but in many episodes it loses the "kick" that the manga offers. Which is probably why my favorite episode so far of the tv series is Nadare (book 2, chapter 9).
We will meet again, when the loops of time touch.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:07 pm

I must confess I haven't seen much of BJ21 yet and am willing to change my mind about which is better, it or the TV series. The tendency to happy-ify the sad stories bothered me there too, especially Nadare which is one of my favorite BJ issues ever. But both are definitively better than the OAVs or first movie.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby mippa » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:26 pm

OMG the (new) movie is BY FAR the best out of all of them! XD

(edit: it was so late, I forgot to mention that I was referring to the new movie)
Last edited by mippa on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby Amrith » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:21 pm

Even if I love all versions, Black Jack OVA Series is by far better.
Osamu Tezuka disliked to make happy endings in "Astro Boy", "Jungle Emperor Leo", "Dororo" and all his anime conversions, but he was forced by japanese networks. It was in 1960's. And now, in 2006, the thing that he hated continues, the same cutting ritual, this time under supervision of his own son : Black Jack TV Series mutated into a childish, colorful, happy and optimistic work, far away the original manga. Yes it's a funny series which I like too, but I cannot compare with the masterpiece of legendary duo Osamu Dezaki/Akio Sugino - fabulous "Space Adventure Cobra" and "Lady Oscar" are the proof they were the most talented Tezuka's disciples with Rin Taro.

The OVA series is frightening, pitiness, bloody, serious, both political and spiritual, dealing with thriller and fantasy. It has a resonance with the modern world, and it has been made without the commercial constraints that Tezuka denounced - I'm talking about the audacity of topics, in particular. This is not a scholar "Copy/Stick" anime, but a powerful reinvention of the legacy.

In addition to these considerations, there is simply the fact that animated Black Jack never looked as charismatic as during this OVA series. The Black Jack who smiles easily, eats hot-dogs, plays baby-sitter, and the Pinoko who shouts all the day, are not the same characters : they were not in the original manga, only in the Black Jack and Black Jack 21 TV Series. To my opinion.

So Osamu Dezaki, please come back on next remake.
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby mippa » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:05 pm

I forgot to mention that I was referring to the new Two Doctors of Darkness movie--it has the sad endings, the deaths, the killing, the seriousness--without all the sex and slutty women that made me dislike the OVA. ^^;

While I agree some of the grittiness was nice about the OVA, as well as BJ's personality, I really had trouble over-looking the overt sexuality that I felt was forced and just too heavy.
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby Pathfinder » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I haven't really seen any of the others, though I thoroughly look forward to it, so I'm going to have to go with the TV series on this one. :wink:
"Earth has too many enemies, I will leave this planet! Wahahahahahaha!" ~ Dr. Black Jack
Pathfinder

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Well, having seen some now, I certainly want to switch my vote to Black Jack 21. It was fantastic! Great way to stitch the best stories together.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Huscheli » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Amrith » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:15 am

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby Huscheli » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:07 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Amrith » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:43 pm