[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Leo/Kimba essay

Leo/Kimba essay

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:07 pm

The essay has now been officially posted on the main site. You can get to it through the main page, or the Analysis section. Thanks so much for writing it.

With the posting of the Kimba essay, TezukaInEnglish.com now officially has 300 pages of content! A big thank-you to all our contributors.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby strobe_z » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 pm

I read through about half of it.... well done cmoon.

One thing that did give me pause is that in your synopsis you seem to think that the two african tribes (Donga-the one Hamegg gets the moonlight stone from, and Junga - the one Mary becomes queen of...) are the same. I'd have to re-read my manga, but I'm pretty sure that they're two different tribes - albeit with simialr names.

I think this is a pretty necessary distinction though. Whereas the Donga tribe are more or less willing to embrace their foreign guests, the Junga tribe are hostile towards all outsiders.

I'll have to read through the rest, but great job so far cmoon.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby cmoon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 pm

It's funny you say that. In an earlier draft I mentioned my confusion over whether there were one or two tribes, but removed it from this draft since I assumed the mistake was mine. If you can verify (being the translator) that these are indeed two tribes, it would be helpful.

And thanks for the feedback Strobe!
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:31 pm

While searching for data on another subject, I found an online preview of , which has an entire chapter some 40 pages in length devoted to this question, & it is available online:

Needless to say, this covers the subject in a depth far greater than T in E's page does. Moreover, it reaches the opposite conclusion. :lol:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:30 am

cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:27 am

Jeffbert

Postby cmoon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:00 am

cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:21 am

I just finished Fred Ladd's new book, Astro Boy & Anime..., it has a chapter about Kimba that includes a fairly extensive section about Tezuka's original plan for the series, & how it was changed to suit NBC Enterprises. 8)
Jeffbert

Postby cmoon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:23 pm

It would be interesting to know how substantially different / more in depth that is in comparison to the story we get through the kimba box. I have to admit that my interest in Fred Ladd and Co. is pretty limited so I haven't bothered to investigate it.

Still, it is very clear that the Kimba series is a really amazing (or really botched, depending on your take) fusion of what Tezuka originally had in mind and what NBC wanted.

What's interesting to me is how Tezuka rarely seems to want to redo what he's already done in manga, so I suspect even if he had had his way, we'd still have seen something rather different than the Leo story.
cmoon

Postby Daieny » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 am

I haven't seen any of that series. I got the impression that beyond the first few episodes it was pretty dreadful (this coinciding with Tezuka's death.) If you've seen that series you know more than I do.
cmoon

Postby KimbaWLion » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 am

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby Daieny » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:21 am

Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 am

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

PreviousNext