[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Leo/Kimba essay

Leo/Kimba essay

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Daieny » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:15 pm

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Daieny » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Fred Patten (an anime expert) writes that 'Leo' was disliked by the American editors (Fred Ladd & co.) for several reasons, among them, the MGM lion held that same name (Watching Anime, Reading Manga, 155). Ladd himself gives that same reason, but the African name for lion is 'Simba' & this he said could not be used as a trademark (Astroboy and Anime come to the Americas, 52). So somebody's daughter was named 'Kim' & he suggested 'Kimba' (53).

BTW, Ladd's book contains a detailed Outline for Jungle Emperor that includes brief descriptions of the setting, characters, etc.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby KimbaWLion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 am

I don't want to take away from , but you can read Fred Patten's article (written with Robin Leyden) . That link takes you to the part about the name changes. The text in red represents my updates to the now nearly-20-year-old article. Basically, the story is the same, since the ultimate source is still Fred Ladd, but the article as it stands now also debunks a different story about the change from Leo to Kimba, a story that still gets repeated at times.

Patten and Leyden also include the show outline. Mr. Ladd made the language of the outline somewhat smoother in his book.

As for the names in my pages on the 1989 series, since Pioneer used "Kimba" for their tapes of this series, I kept that, even though he's always been Leo in every Japanese version. The other names are pretty close to the Japanese. The story is so very different from the earlier versions that it wouldn't seem right to use all the American character names.
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:29 am

Jeffbert

Postby Daieny » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks, guys.

It is strange Kimba grow and begin to call Leo.
In English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian...
But in French, when Leo is already small, right?
Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:00 am

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:12 am

A little bit more digging did turn up proof that the article was first published in 1981, but it was updated and republished in other fanzines several times, and the version I have dates from 1991 (although I have updated it myself much more recently, my changes are in red text). I will clarify the publishing note on my page in the morning.
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:59 pm

:o I know the LK was not made until the 1990s! :?

Jeffbert

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby Daieny » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Daieny

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:49 am

Jeffbert

Postby KimbaWLion » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 am