[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - 2009 movie on DVD in Hong Kong

2009 movie on DVD in Hong Kong

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

2009 movie on DVD in Hong Kong

Postby F-Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Re: 2009 movie on DVD in Hong Kong

Postby Kirben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 am

Yes, my order from YesAsia just shipped yesterday. So I can hopefully provide feedback on quality of subtitles and screenshots next week.
Kirben

Postby F-Man » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:50 am

To anyone having doubts about this, I can tell you that since Universe Laser got official backing to release the entire Heisei series of Godzilla on their label and that's hard because of Toho's protectiveness towards their character, you can throw those doubts out of the window even though it is Region 0.

@Kirben, please do provide a review for the DVD. :)
Bigdog

Tezuka reader

Postby Kirben » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:43 am

The DVD just arrived, but I won't have chance to watch the movie until tomorrow night. The DVD menus are in English, the video quality looks very good, and the English subtitles seem well done, judging by a quick look over the movie.

I upload screenshots of the DVD menus, and a few from the movie at http://imageshack.us/g/155/snapshotdvd000321201110.png/
Kirben

Postby Kirben » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am

I just watched the movie, and my rating is highly recommended, especially if you enjoy well done movies for children.

I'm not good at reviews, so just a brief overview:
The audio and video quality were very good, based on viewing via 24inch widescreen monitor with stereo speakers. The animals design are well done, and Leo is so cute! Along with many wonderful scenes of the jungle areas.

The subtitles were very well done, I wonder if they created by the production company, and just supplied to Universal Laser.

The story has many interesting elements, but I don't want to give away too much. I liked how Kenichi talking to animals was handled more realistically, with adults believing it was only stories. And how the movies explores the good and bad points of creating an artificial and limited environment for animals, along with the usual growing up and working together elements.

I can only hope we will see more uncut English releases of Kimba in the future, with the older TV series been limited to edited English only on DVD so far.
Kirben

Postby F-Man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 pm

It seems that Tezuka Productions often gets subtitles done for their movies that never end up on DVD but only play in festivals and such, which is a shame. At least for newer movies it seems like we can count on Hong Kong to get them. In the case of Metropolis, Sony did new subtitles for the US theatrical release so the DVD ended up with two different English translations.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:38 am

Bigdog

Tezuka reader

Return to Kimba