[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Sources for Tezuka in French

Sources for Tezuka in French

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Sources for Tezuka in French

Postby Blockhead » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:03 am

This may have already been addressed, but there are a handful of Canadian Francophone online bookstores that have a decent selection of Tezuka material in French.

has a decent selection, but I recommend Archambault () and Renaud Bray , two of the largest bookstore chains in Quebec, which have a pretty good selection in stock on a regular basis.

But the best by far is Fichtre!, an independent Montreal store that may be the best source for Francophone comics in North America. They currently have 93 Tezuka titles in stock or available on order, including Ayako, Vampires, Dororo, Barbara, Black Jack, etc. Their website is and if you call them up on the phone they're very helpful, knowledgeable and bilingual. Their prices are good too.

I know a lot of Americans take French as a second language in high school, and although I'm a bilingual Canadian, I can tell you the level of language in these comics is not inaccessible to people with just a basic grasp on French.
Blockhead

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks for the tips - I will add those sites to the links we have for ordering in French.

Do you know how these stores' shipping prices and speed compare to French companies like BDNet? In my experience the Canadian places I've ordered from have had very expensive slipping and gotten titles in more slowly than French companies, so when I placed an order at both a French and a Canadian bookstore on the same day the French one arrived on my doorstep in Boston sooner for the same shipping cost, despite having an ocean inbetween. But the places you use may be better - do you know?
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Blockhead » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 pm

Renaud Bray has the best selection but most expensive (and slowest) shipping - they're really a chain of brick and mortar bookshops, so they ship from the stores themselves and don't have a deal with Canada Post. It cost me a fair bit of cash just to have them ship me The Complete Calvin and Hobbes across town. Archambault is a little more organized.

Generally, amazon.ca, if they have the item in stock, is both cheapest and fastest. I have never mail-ordered from Fichtre! but if their mail-order customer service is anything like in-store, I'm sure you won't have any problems.
Blockhead

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 am

Thanks for the tips - I've posted them on the site to help others.

Do you think any of these sites would have out of print stuff, like Le Cratere?
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Blockhead » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 am

They might. Renaud Bray will actually check what's in stock at all their stores, not just what's in the warehouse. Fichtre! might have old stock.

Montreal is just chockablock with stores that sell used CDs and French comics, so if you decide to visit, you might be able to fill out your bookshelf at a bargain price.
Blockhead

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:04 am

I can tell you that Renaud-Bray doesn't have Cratere. I've called them looking for it.... but no dice. Can't say as I've checked Fichtre! before, but I'd guess not.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Return to Searching for Tezuka