[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Greetings from Japan! Tezuka swag! (updated semi-often)

Greetings from Japan! Tezuka swag! (updated semi-often)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Greetings from Japan! Tezuka swag! (updated semi-often)

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:12 am

Hello all from my half-year stay in Japan! I moved here for a bit. I can't wait to go see live action MW in the theaters and buy Tezuka in Japanese for cheap! Speaking of which....
UNIQLO (cheap clothing store here) has about 8 or 9 different designs of Tezuka t-shirts for women! I bought 3 the other day. The uniqlo website has pictures:
http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/store/feature/ut/ravex/
I bought the black Unico tee, the blue Leo tee, and the brown Phoenix tee. I also got a Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro tee ^_^
They're only 1500 yen (about $15) so I would recommend buying some if you're in Japan! Designs feature Astro, Uran, Leo, and Unico.
And for men...
sorry, no Tezuka shirts, but they do have a TON from series that ran in Shonen Magazine over the last 50 years:
http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/store/featur ... ymagazine/

Also, I was able to go to Kinokuniya and snatch up "the best of the 3 eyed one" and 2 volumes of Dororo for cheap! ^_^
Heading out to Kyoto station one of these days to see the Tezuka related stuff there too! Will definitely post everything Tezuka-related I see (to an extent) here or on my blog, so stay tuned!
Last edited by Recca_Phoenix on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:12 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Rocku » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm going to Japan for a month next year, but until then... *RAGES*

GOD I'M SO JEALOUS
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby sailor kitty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Awww, man...

I want that so, so, much... Especially the Uran-chan shirt. So lucky! And Kitaro... Too bad there was no Cyborg 009 shirts.

There ought to be mounds of Tezuka-junk over there, for obvious reasons. Did you visit any toy stores? (The "kid" kind, not the plastic-model-otaku kind)

And MW in theatres... I hope you post a review of it!
sailor kitty

Tezuka reader

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:37 am

So, here's the details of my trip to Tezuka World Kyoto:

And another update.
Went to a different, much bigger bookstore the other day and they had a whole Tezuka section! I just about squealed ^^;;;
They had many volumes of the "Tezuka Complete Works" set - I bought Wansa-kun and Yakeppachi no Maria (both volumes). I'd been wanting to read the notoriously-bizarre and experimental Yakeppachi no Maria for a long time. I'm about halfway thru volume 2 right now. It's crazy! I'll talk more about it in another post somewhere else on the forum (probably General Discussion).
Haven't taken a look at Wansa-kun yet, but it's a compilation book that features the kindergarten magazine version of Umi no Triton and some other stories.
I should probably lay off the manga-buying before I top 100 bucks (I still haven't, even though I've bought 9 volumes in total! Even the "expensive" ones on "nicer" paper are still only 6 or 7 U.S. dollars apiece. Mostly because they're tiny (about 3/4 the size of the average U.S. manga tankoubon). The "Tezuka complete works" books are a little bigger and with average-quality paper, but they even have nice dust jackets and stuff...and they're still only about $5.70! This is one thing I love about living in Japan :D
Now I know I said I'm gonna stop buying manga, but if I see "Human Metamorphosis" and/or "Bomba" I must buy those. And that will be the last thing, because those are 2 that I REALLY want. More when I find more to talk about!
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:41 am

Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby sailor kitty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:51 pm

sailor kitty

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:53 am

Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:38 am

Went on what I hope was my last two manga-shopping trips (I must stop spending money!) and bought one of the last 2 things I desperately wanted, Tezuka's "Human Metamorphoses" in one convenient l'il Akita Bunko volume (pretty tiny: about as tall as a CD jewel case is long, but the paper is nice and it has some colour plates). Hooray!
There's a couple series I want, but when I start a series I tend to buy the entire thing and some Tezuka series are just waaay too long for me to spend all my money to do that! -_-;; 'The Three-eyed One' is 8 volumes, for example.
I really might go for 'Big X,' though: it's only 3 volumes in the Akita Bunko set.

My other manga shopping trip to Book Off (a used bookstore) resulted in nothing.... They had mostly incomplete sets and though their books were 1/2 the normal price and in pretty good shape, they didn't have the series I was REALLY looking for and I was reluctant to spend more money....
LOTS of BJ everywhere I try, but it's such a long series and VERY hard to read in Japanese.....will probably just go for that in English once Vertical puts out more of it (I have the old Viz english volume 1 and a Glenat Spanish volume 9).

Yakeppachi no Maria is AMAZINGLY CRAZY so far, as I've already said. What makes me mad is though I already bought it as a 2-volume set (Tezuka Complete Works edition), I saw it used the other day in a 1-volume set for about 1/4 of the price! (although it was a smaller book) >: (
Oh well....
The huge moral is I shouldn't buy things the first time I see them because I've had similar experiences with GeGeGe no Kitaro manga here (which I've bought 3 of so far).
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby zanpano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 am

zanpano

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:36 am

OOOH, damn, wish I could go. I've been to that museum before though, it's amazing!

I went on one last manga buying spree hurrah....and found the last of what I wanted/needed:
Twin Knight (sequel to Princess Knight)
Big X volume 1
Bomba!

I took a look at Bomba, and the first 6 pages or so are the most amazing, cinematic, incredible wordless spreads I have EVER SEEN, EVER!
Seriously! This merits a blog post sometime.....
I finished reading Wansa-kun, it was standard kiddy stuff. I should really not have bought it -_-;; Damn those plastic-wrapped books in manga stores! Argh! I need a library!
Hmm....must get to Book Off and sell back unwanted manga..... 0_o;;

**Addition!***
I went to junku-dou (a big chain bookstore that has a lot of English books too, including RARE out of print and bilingual Tezuka!) and found a nearly-complete set of Tezuka Complete Works by Kodansha....I just about fainted when I saw it, looking something like this:
"Am I dreaming?" I kept saying to my friend as I picked up "Bomba!," the last 'rare' Tezuka find I had been seeking, and gazed on its amazing cover.
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby sailor kitty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:33 pm

...WOW.

JUST WOW.

It's got Dororo, Black Jack, Princess Knight, and- and- and-

*faints*
sailor kitty

Tezuka reader

Postby grapeofdeath » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:04 pm

The tiny ones! I like how the set comes with it's own shelf. Much too expensive to buy the whole thing, but I bought some of the smaller sets of 10 for fun.
grapeofdeath

Tezuka reader

Postby Kuririn » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Image "Or the moment
when you know it's over and the nothing which you
have to say is falling all around you, lavishly,
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Return to Searching for Tezuka