[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Look for this story name (only remember the plot)

Look for this story name (only remember the plot)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Look for this story name (only remember the plot)

Postby agentghost » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 pm

I remember when I was small in my country Vietnam, we have several publications of Tezuka. There was one story I really like about a male character with a female fox-spirit as his assistant/helper. Setting was most likely feudal Japan but i am not so sure b/c I was 9 at that time. It could be from Tezuka short story collection but I remember reading several episodes on that particular story before I left my country for the U.S ==> couldn't a short story.

If Tezuka experts out there know what I am talking about, please let me know the name b/c I am itching to finish that wonderful tale. Thanks
agentghost

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 am

This is a story from Phoenix, Tezuka's life's work. The man was himself mutilated and fitted with a wolf's face. I believe his story spans several issues. It is covered in volumes 10 & 11. His name is Harima, but after he is fitted with the wolf's face, he goes by another name, Kuchi'Inu ("Useless Idiot," vol. 10, p. 42, note). Actually an old woman heals him, & call him that, despite his protests. :P
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Huscheli » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby agentghost » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 am

hmm... they definitely split the story b/c I remember reading a few separate unrelated stories in between.. then a week later, they continue that story.. then put a few more stories in b/w... hmm.. so is there an english version (official or fan scanlation) I can read on? I am itching to finish the story.. :D

P.S on further search for "Akuemon" I found this
The story is about a fox outwitting a hunter and choosing to live out his life in the temple with a squirrel companion. Source: Wikipedia.com

I don't remember any fox hunting. All I remember is this main character (young guy in his early 20) was on a quest of some sort (maybe to kill an evil demon). He travel around the country side and this female fox spirit follow him around (first because of she was amused). She ended up using her power to help him and fall in love with him).
Does it sound like Akuemon to you? Why does wikipedia have "squirrel companion" in it?
agentghost

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I still think it is the Phoenix story, oops, I forgot to give its title. The title of both volumes 10 & 11 is Sun, & the stories in v 10 do indeed go back and forth between the olden times in which the wolf-faced Harima is the main character & modern times with, as I recall, his reincarnation involved.

Harima, as I recall, was a prince of an overrun & destroyed kingdom who lived in the forrests with a wise woman, who nursed him back to health. He occasionaly has dealings with the wolf-spirit clan. I think he was attempting to restore his kingdom and gather the people who scattered when the kingdom was beseiged, and rebuild it.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby strobe_z » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:41 pm

I'm quite sure you're talking about "Sun" as well. It's a long story, but really worth it (as is pretty much all of Phoenix).
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby agentghost » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks guys. I will go to my bookstore and check out Phoenix Vol.10 and 11. If anyone can scan 1 page of Akuemon (i understand there is no english release) and post it up so that I can take a look at the art and be sure. thx
agentghost

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:36 am

Well, if there was no fox hunting I'm sure you're meaning "Sun" too. I can take a picture of a few pages later tough if you want.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby agentghost » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:24 am

agentghost

Tezuka reader

Re: Look for this story name (only remember the plot)

Postby sigma87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 am

sigma87

Postby Huscheli » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby agentghost » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 am

oh my god.. you finally found it sigma87.. I love that story but can't find it anywhere to buy :(
agentghost

Tezuka reader

Return to Searching for Tezuka