[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Astro Boy 2003 - Korean DVD's. Possible Source?

Astro Boy 2003 - Korean DVD's. Possible Source?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Astro Boy 2003 - Korean DVD's. Possible Source?

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:20 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 pm

1.) Jeffbert could probably answer this off the top of his head... Let me know which episode it is and I'll tell you.

2.) It's translated very well. Native English.

3.) Never made. The first two box sets didn't sell well enough I guess.

4.) Yes there were gashapon figures with the first box set. One of them is this one

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby sgupta » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:29 am

Thanks much once again!

It's episode 20 I believe - called "Eternal Boy". There are varying theories why it wasn't included (the most common being there were copyright issues as a character too closly resembled "Peter Pan", but I'm not sure if anyone knows the official reason). I guess on the US release they replaced it with a clip (recap) episode.

Too bad the set never was completed as it seems like an awesome one. As mentioned, if you can find either of them (or both), I'm definitely interested. =) Thanks again for your help.
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:02 am

Good thread.

I'm extremely tempted to get those sets but then I just know that Japan will get the series on Blu-ray sometime down the line, hopefully soon, and their Blu-rays share the same region as NA. And then I'll hopefully and illegally find the subtitles from the Korean DVDs on the net.

Friggin' love that figure though.
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby sgupta » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:29 am

Jeffbert, thanks for the info! Too bad that one didn't make the cut, but the Korean discs are still looking awesome.

I very much appreciate the link to the Japanese DVD's! Unfortunately they won't cut it for me as I don't speak Japanese and don't think I would enjoy the episode much without any way to understand the dialogue.

Is there a place known to sell the bootlegged English version of Eternal Boy? Or does it just require searching around and a lot of luck.

Similar question - from my searching, it looks like nobody has subbed the Japanese (ie. uncut) version of the last 25 or so episodes? Is this correct, or do bootlegs exist of these somewhere as well?

Sorry for all the questions - appreciate the patience and help as I'm trying to get a clear picture of what's out there.
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby sgupta » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 am

F-Man, I'd love to see proper DVD or Blu-Ray treatment of this material, but I'm not holding my breath. =o/ No guarantees unfortunately.
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby sgupta » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:19 am

W00T! I found that lost episode, Eternal Boy, subbed (seems like good subs too though I haven't watched the episode yet as I'm not up to it in the anime)! Not the greatest quality unfortunately but certainly perfectly watchable for those interested. (Props to whoever the owner of a home connection Linux FTP server out there that had this - possibly with a u/n of wotan).

The original files I found of the episode were 3 flash video files that are sometimes wonky to play, so I went ahead and combined them into a WMV file that should be much more compatible.

I'd like to post links to the combined file as well as the original flash ones (on my personal download space) in the forum - are there any legal/ethicals issues with that? (I'm very friendly via PM if not ^.^). Just thought I better get mod approval first.
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 pm

ok... so here's the deal. I found a guy who has some Astro Boy DVD's but unfortunately no box sets. He's got double copies of discs 1-4 and one each of 5 and 6. They're W10,000 each (which is a bit more than $10). So...

Deal 1:
Astro Boy 2003 Korean Discs 1-6 (complete) $70 + Shipping from Canada

Deal 2:
Astro Boy 2003 Korean Discs 1-4 $50 + Shipping from Canada
or
Astro Boy 2003 Korean Discs 1-3 $40 + Shipping from Canada

The Extra $10 per set is basically to cover the extra exchange rate and my Subway fare there and back.

Any takers? It's Friday morning here in Korea now, so if anyone wants them they need to tell me by Sunday evening, because my schedule only allows for a small window of opportunity to go back there on Monday afternoon.

The clock is ticking...

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby sgupta » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 am

I hope to have an answer for you for sure by sometime tomorrow. (if I do anything it'd be the whole set of discs). Obviously first come first serve if someone wants them before me. =)

I'm assuming there are no bonuses like figures, etc., as those are only box set items, correct?
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:28 pm

correct. There are no extras like the figures or what not. I'll check and see when I get home, I might have an extra figure or two. If I do, I'll throw them in at no charge. No promises though... I know I had them, but I can't remember if I gave them away already or not...

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby sgupta » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:31 pm

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby sgupta » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 am

LOL. Long story short, I tried that shiningo.com route in my initial post (the cheaper version of box sets 1 and 2) and just now got word they don't indeed have these (so at least I got a refund). GrrRr. ^.^ But not entirely unexpected I suppose.

Still, gonna keep looking around a bit longer to see if I can find these reasonable and complete.
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to Searching for Tezuka