[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - More Astro Boy DVD Release Questions (60's, 80's, and 2003)

More Astro Boy DVD Release Questions (60's, 80's, and 2003)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

More Astro Boy DVD Release Questions (60's, 80's, and 2003)

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:01 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:27 am

1.) Except for the 5 subtitled episodes in Japanese on the US sets, no.

2.) Japanese only.

3.) I'm guessing they must be on the first volume of that Australian set. I don't know about any other sets that could have them. I got 'em in high quality from an FTP server, and I'll be fine with those until Manga Entertainment comes up with a proper integral release.

4.) There are fan subs of the first six episodes (now deprecated by the Korean DVDs), plus I hear there are Engrish bootlegs floating around.

It is truly baffling to me that Astro Boy of all anime has been avoided from fansub groups for so long.

Here is on how we should participate in fixing this.
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:12 am

Thanks for the great response!

1+2.) Sounds like for the 60's version, I already have what's available (as I think those Japanese subtitled ones are on the DVD extras). It is strange fansubbers haven't taken on this project, I agree. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people (including me at first, sadly) dismiss Astro Boy simply because it's "not new" without bothering to look at what's really there. (Plus the fact they keep botching US releases, like with the 2003 version, which could have garnered a lot more new fans had it been handled properly).

3.) Found a bit more information. I guess the Australian set has them (the 80's original two eps) on the special features/extra disc, NOT the main DVD, so you would likely have to buy the whole set to get it on DVD. At any rate, your post prompted me to check a few servers and sure enough I think I've found the higher quality version of these eps with subs, so thanks much for that - these should certainly do. =)

4.) Hmmm. I wonder if anyone's gotten ahold of any of the 2003 bootlegs to see what they entail? I'm seeing something that looks to be 50 episodes of the 2003 series in Japanese with English subs from Malaysia (says new, but I get the feeling its a bootleg because it seems rare) - can't seem to find much information at all about that release, or if the subtitles are good, or if its uncut.

Also, I see you mentioning your take on how you propose fixing the subtitle situation, but it seems to stop there. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help!
sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:22 am

F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby sgupta » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:43 am

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby sgupta » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby sgupta » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:02 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:03 am

Jeffbert

Postby sgupta » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:18 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:41 am

F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:52 am

Jeffbert

Postby sgupta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:18 am

sgupta

Tezuka reader

Re: More Astro Boy DVD Release Questions (60's, 80's, and 20

Postby omega.factor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46 pm

I've picked this up as another thread, maybe creating a crowd sourcing project to fund the subtitling of the jap 60s episodes!
omega.factor

Tezuka reader

Return to Searching for Tezuka