[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Vertical licensed Black Jack!

Vertical licensed Black Jack!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:37 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Duofan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:06 pm

I really can't wait to buy them all..
Duofan

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Yes, it's going to be a long year waiting for it, but at least it'll be a year with an END and not an indefinite period.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:11 pm

A year with Dororo to keep us busy in the interim :)
cmoon

Postby Angelcake » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:29 am

Angelcake

Tezuka reader

Postby Jiminy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 am

You mean bigger than the normal Tezuka disclaimer about racial stereotypes? They'd have to increase the page size just to fit it all in...
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby putrocca » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm sure they would treat the racial images in some way, since they're very prominent. There was a stink over that when the manga was reprinted in Japan in the 1980s and that was Japan, the US is even more sensitive.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:32 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Lemi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:23 pm

Lemi

Tezuka reader

Postby snake search » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 pm

I love this new direction that Vertical is moving in whit publishing Dororo and black jack. I hoping that they publish more manga like Dororo and black jack in the future. (crossing my fingers for The Three-eyed One or Rainbow Parakeet.)
snake search

Tezuka reader

Postby Deda » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Deda

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:08 pm

cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Getting information from Chapters.ca - I think this is the first confirmation we've had of actual publication dates. Looks like volume 2 will only be 2 months later. Hopefully that means once we get rolling we'll be getting our Black Jack fix regularly...

Black Jack, Volume 1
Author: Osamu Tezuka
List Price:$20.00
Online Price:$13.20
Format:Trade Paperback
Published:September 23, 2008
Dimensions:300 Pages, 0 x 0 x 0 in
Published By:Vertical Inc.
ISBN:193428727X

Black Jack, Volume 2
Author: Osamu Tezuka
List Price:$20.00
Online Price:$13.20
Format:Trade Paperback
Published:November 18, 2008
Dimensions:300 Pages, 0 x 0 x 0 in
Published By:Vertical Inc.
ISBN:1934287288

From the Publisher
Black Jack is a mysterious and charismatic young genius surgeon who travels the world performing amazing and impossible medical feats. Though a trained physician, he refuses to accept a medical license due to his hatred and mistrust of the medical community''s hypocrisy and corruption. This leads Black Jack to occasional run-ins with the authorities, as well as from gangsters and criminals who approach him for illegal operations.

Black Jack charges exorbitant fees for his services, the proceeds from which he uses to fund environmental projects and to aid victims of crime and corrupt capitalists. But because Black Jack keeps his true motives secret, his ethics are perceived as questionable and he is considered a selfish, uncaring devil. The Black Jack series is told in short stories. Each volume will contain 16-20 stories, each running approximately 20-24 pages in length.

Black Jack is recognized as Osamu Tezuka''s third most famous series, after Astro Boy and Kimba, the White Lion.

About the Author
Osamu Tezuka (1928-89) is the godfather of Japanese manga comics. He originally intended to become a doctor and earned his degree before turning to what was then a medium for children. His many early masterpieces include the series known in the U.S. as Astro Boy. With his sweeping vision, deftly interwined plots, feel for the workings of power, and indefatigable commitment to human dignity, Tezuka elevated manga to an art form. The later Tezuka, who authored Buddha, often had in mind the mature readership that manga gained in the sixties and that had only grown ever since. The Kurosawa of Japanese pop culture, Osamu Tezuka is a twentieth century classic.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby pomocho » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:41 am

I am probably more excited about this than any other forthcoming Tezuka release. I have heard so much about this manga, I eagerly await the opportunity to finally read it in its entirety.

At any rate, the cover art features some pretty loopy designs -- and yet, like all of Vertical's publications, they are very eye catching.

pomocho

Tezuka reader

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:02 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to English Language Releases