[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Dororo

Dororo

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Dororo

Postby strobe_z » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Princess Sapphire » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:22 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Better order my copy soon too ^_^ Almost forgot it, as I already have the French version, but better readable versions (for me) are always welcome :)
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm still waiting on amazon, I guess. I've only read the first volume, so it'll be nice to get a chance to read all of it.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby strobe_z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 am

Dororo showed up in my mailbox today... and it rocks. I wasn't so sure about the cover design at first, but now that I see it up close and personal... I love it.

The cover stock paper really makes it seem like it's a really old style book (a medical textbook maybe?). It's not the usual glossy slick paper, it's got some texture to it, and the manga images almost feel like stickers or something.

There's no cover design credit, so I'm not sure it's a Chip Kidd creation. It's a little different from Chip Kidd's usual work, and he's usually credited when it is his work - so I'm guessing it's not his work. Still, as usual, Vertical's high production value shines through.

Inside there is very standard Vertical feel to it (that's not a bad thing). Chapter and general lettering fonts are the same as usual.

Oh, and in case there was any doubt, it's unflipped. The "last" page has a nice disclaimer about how to read manga... including a funny comment about how if reading it "backwards" makes you dizzy, doing things backwards makes your brain smarter.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 am

Actually, Vertical included that with To Terra and Andromeda Stories. Pretty clever.

Come on, amazon!
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:07 am

Got my copy a couple days ago. Just wanted to jump on the band wagon with Strobe and say WOW! It is really a nice printing and a rather different look for Vertical (which is fine by me, time to switch it up.)

Oh yeah, and the story is pretty good too 8)
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Aha! I just received vol 1 & now I know how H could 'see' & 'hear' with fake eyes and ears! :lol: I just started watching the K-vers of the movie last night, but I will finish vol 1 before continuing.

I wonder if H was created before Daredevil, both have ESP instead of eyes.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Read it this morning. I already owned the French version (though I'm not very good in French), so it was mostly a reconfirmation of what I had read a year or so ago. Still a great manga.

About the Vertical release itself, I was kinda disappointed in the paper used, not as good as in their other releases. But translation-wise, it was once again a great job.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsuwan » Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 am

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby htom » Wed May 07, 2008 5:03 pm

htom

Postby cmoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Just received and read vol. 2 today. I really do enjoy Dororo, but am actually rather happy it doesn't go on forever (like Astro.) At two volumes, the formula is already starting to show through rather badly (not that that's keeping me from enjoying it), but it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing that would survive getting stretched across thousands of pages. That said, vol. 2 pulls a few surprises that suggest the comic won't go on forever anyway , and the abruptness of these big events is rather refreshing in a world of manga where we'd be digging though dozens of volumes for that one plot device which might not be that satisfying anyway.

Anyway, digging it. Vol. 3 out in late August.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Dororo Movie

Postby Tetsuwan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Instead of creating a new topic I decided to post what I found here. I'm pretty sure this has been covered been before but now it is completely official. The Japanese Dororo movie is now available to pre-order through amazon here .

Now I have seen (and own a copy of) dvds that were floating around ebay and other sites of this movie with English subtitles available. Though I eventually suspected them of being bootlegs (especially after receiving mine). This release is definitely official. Amazon has it as a pre-order for September 23, released by Universal.

So, if you weren't scammed like me into buying those bootlegs, and have 24.99, this could be a good investment along with the Dororo manga (as well as the Dororo: Blood Will Tell game but that's a different topic).
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm happy I good the German Steelbook though. Looks much better. ^^
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:46 am

I finished reading Dororo vol. 1 a few days ago and I was mightily impressed. Looking forward to vol. 2 which should get here on Monday :]

On the cover - I love it. Really, really love it. Peter Mendelsund is fantastic!
CitizenGeek

Next

Return to English Language Releases