[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Licensed: Swallowing the Earth (DMP)

Licensed: Swallowing the Earth (DMP)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Licensed: Swallowing the Earth (DMP)

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 am

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:01 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:59 pm

I have the french edition. It's quite good.

My big question is "What's DMP?"
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Digital Manga Publishing, an American manga publisher. Mostly known for their immensive yaoi line and then some like Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D and Berserk.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Digital Manga Publishing. They publish a lot of yaoi, from what I've heard.

I'm happy about this, though. I haven't read Swallowing the Earth yet, so I'm glad that I'll finally know who that person who made a cameo in Black Jack is.

Edit: DARN IT, ASH!
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Fear my speed in posting :D
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 pm

I became too accustomed to the usual speed of the forums these days, it seems.

I'll get you next time, Ash.

I'm guessing it'll be released in 2009?
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby DMPPlatinum » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks for the interest here in Swallowing the Earth. We're really excited about making this title a great new addition to our DMP Platinum line. I can try to answer a few questions:

It will be a one-shot hardcover with the entire manga collected into a single volume. Should be fairly hefty, at 500 or so pages.

Release will be early 2009.

As mentioned, Swallowing the Earth is part of the DMP Platinum line, so it will carry the same kind of production quality as our current release of Tatsuo Yoshida's Speed Racer: Mach Go Go Go. Check that out if you happen to be in your local bookstore - I think you'll like it.

DMP hand-picked Swallowing the Earth from a bunch of available Tezuka titles as something that seemed more "adult" and a little different from him. Can't wait to get it out there for the fans to see it!
DMPPlatinum

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Wow, thanks for registering and giving us all the great info.

I'm glad to hear it'll be in one volume, and hardcover, too. Which reminds me, I need to get around to buying Speed Racer.

Thanks again for taking a risk and licensing Swallowing the Earth, and also for taking the time to tell us all this.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:35 am

DMPPlatinum> Hey thanks for filling us in with the info. Obviously we are crazy about Tezuka here but just in case you want to know what our forum selected for 'most-in-need-of-publication-in-English', we have a stickied thread in the main forum.

Of course you'll have our support in anything you decide to publish by Tezuka and we're all very anxious to hear about any other future plans.
cmoon

Postby DMPPlatinum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 am

I've absolutely checked out the "most in need of" thread. I see Swallowing the Earth came up a few times there, which is great. I know I, personally, would like to see as much Tezuka as possible make it into the U.S. market. Bottom line, the more that gets supported and does well, the more that will be published. Pretty straightforward. Quite a few publishers, including DMP now, are engaged with the material - so it's a pretty good time to be a Tezuka fan, I think.

Certain things, like Jungle Taitei, are difficult, because the licensors themselves don't want to put it out there. Tezuka seems afraid of the racial stereotypes in Kimba, so that one's a no-go for the time being. I think virtually every publisher - Vertical, Dark Horse, DMP, etc. - have inquired about that one, but they won't license it. Maybe Tezuka will change its mind at some point, hopefully.

The people frequenting a board like this are the hardcore fans, so I definitely wanted to give you a heads-up on DMP's plans now that the announcement has been made. We hope to put out a great book for everybody. You may wish to check dmpplatinum.com in the coming months. The home page will launch pretty soon, and updated news should appear there first. I'll at least be lurking here as well, I'm sure.
Last edited by DMPPlatinum on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMPPlatinum

Postby cmoon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:41 am

Ugh! Well of course Leo is the one I'm personally yelling as loud and as long as possible to get, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens. It is good to know there is so much interest.
cmoon

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 am

Hmm, hardcover single volume... [/Homer]

I'll be sure to buy it :3

It's funny... One of the reasons I started to study Japanese was to read more Tezuka (yeah, I'm kinda geeky XD), but still haven't read any Tezuka in Japanese, because awesome releases keep coming in the US. And that's a lot easier to read.

Hmm... luckily my other reason still holds: I AM reading more detective manga these days :P
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby strobe_z » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Next

Return to English Language Releases