[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - First look at Apollo's Song

First look at Apollo's Song

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:31 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:36 pm

cmoon

Postby dwillems » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:46 pm

dwillems

Tezuka reader

Postby Jiminy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:57 pm

I enjoyed Apollo's Song, but there are definite weak points (which seem to be focussed at the beginning). I felt the prologue was heavy-handed, so it just didn't grab me as much as it should have, and I didn't care for the WWII chapter either. This far in to the book I still knew very little about the characters, so had formed no real attachment to them, and out of all the storylines this spent the least amount of time introducing them or portraying their interaction. Again, it just failed to grab me and draw me in to the story.

However, reading further the story arcs got longer and more interesting, and I found the rest of the book fascinating. The Queen Sigma storyline in particular had some very moving scenes. By the end I was thoroughly involved with the characters, and even willing to admit that perhaps I shouldn't have written off the opening chapters so lightly.

It's an interesting point that this could have fit in the Phoenix series, as I can easily imagine the Phoenix in that role. I think I prefer it as a stand-alone work though, because this way the goddess can be a bit more ambiguous. I think of the Phoenix as acting cruelly in some instances, but doing so with some notion of objectivity backing her up. With the goddess, I like the fact that there's an undercurrent of personal hatred behind her actions, along with the main concept of fate.

(Also, I can't think of a better choice for lead actress than Melmo, given the themes of Apollo's Song and the sex-ed nature of her original role!)
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby deadbeatpete » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:04 pm

deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi all, I'll probably respond in some deep meanigful way to this thread in a little while, but I wanted to post the translation I did of Tezuka's afterword to Apollo's Song. I did the same for Kirihito some months back.

It's a bit of a rushed translation from the Korean, so I make no apologies for minor mistakes. I think Tezuka's thoughts are quite clear though.

Here you go:

Around 1967 or
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jiminy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:10 pm

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:16 am

I completely forgot about that scene!
I thought that came out of nowhere as well - I'll admit it didn't occur to me what its meaning was until I read it above. Still...that's pretty messed up.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby putrocca » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:01 pm

:D I bought my Apollo's Song straight out and lay-buyed my other stuff.

A very strange story. Very enjoyable though. My mother didn't really find it appealing, but that's all right. :)

BTW is there any addition upcoming to the site's article on Apollo's Song because it seems to cut off midway through? :?
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Previous

Return to English Language Releases