[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - 2 different versions of Vertical's Black Jack

2 different versions of Vertical's Black Jack

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Mike Toole » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:26 pm

This is good news. The fact that the hardcovers are Diamond exclusive doesn't concern me too much, as I was planning all along to buy the books from my comic shop. This just sweetens the deal.
Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby Puddles » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Puddles

Postby putrocca » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Interesting... three special issues. I know they're printing the so-called "Deluxe Edition" that Tezuka edited before his death, which leaves out a total of five issues, so I wonder which three they have and which two they don't. The issues in question are likely to be some of the following:

It's possible, though, that they won't be these but will be some of the five issues excluded from the Asuka 17-volume edition, which they're reproducing, but included in the old 25 volume Shounen Champion edition:

Now, if the first special issue they're putting out is 20 pages, it's possible that it's Finger. Hold on to your hats, folks... Finger is without doubt the most important issue of Black Jack for the Star System, featuring the first version of Rock & Black Jack's joint backstory, the one Tezuka later disavowed and rewrote as "Print Proof" one of the last issues of the series. This is one of those rarest of all rare Tezuka objects that can't be had even in Japan.

Now, it's still possible that these aren't the issues they're including, that they're some other slightly less rare ones, but either way it's an impressive achievement that Vertical has managed to swing them.

Above all I want to remind everyone not to criticize Vertical for putting these issues only in limited edition volumes - it's extremely likely that Tezuka Pro insisted on that themselves. These are issues that Tezuka himself sealed away and are pretty unfindable even in Japan. One fan was arrested and fined $3,000 for reproducing them without permission. We're extremely lucky that Vertical has managed to convince Tezuka Pro to let them print these issues at all, so any unreasonable format demands Tezuka Pro put on them in return are certainly worth it. I've spent a long time sending Vertical hints and suggestions that they should look into getting these rare issues... I never imagined they'd actually manage it. Go, Vertical!

I've written to Vertical to see if I can get clarification on the content of the issues and how these three volumes will relate to the main release. I'll let you know if I hear back.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Princess Sapphire » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:58 pm

I am most intrigued about this Ada. Excited also. It sounds great potentially. 8)
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I have received details from Vertical. The three special volumes will be equivalent to vols. 1-3 of the release. There are no current plans to release hardcovers of the rest of the series, so the rest will be a softcover run, unless plans change later, which they could. I've seen pics now of the designs for the covers and they're gorgeous - I hope to be able to post them soon.

The three special issues will come from the excluded list:

These are issues which do not appear in the standard Japanese edition or in the French, but are in the out of print Shounen Champion edition and in the Italian Hazard edition. They will release only 3 of the 6. I'm hoping for Suito Disease and The Person who Remains at the End, since Suito Disease has a very interesting appearance by Tezuka and The Person Who Remains at the End has Kiriko and Saruta. Sinking Woman is also interesting since it has Zephyrus in a non-Black Queen role. Witch Trial is also awesomely dark. We'll see... all of them are issues which were sealed away for being too dark and upsetting so they are all spectacular examples of Tezuka's explorations of the more unpleasant sides of what it means to be a doctor. I'm very excited that Vertical has put in the effort to get a hold of these.

They will NOT be including any of the five sealed or semi-sealed issues. This is not surprising since Tezuka Pro is very protective of those issues.

And it looks like I will be able to get a hold of promo posters and sample issues from Vertical - who wants some?
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow, really? If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to have a poster or sample issue.

The stories sound really interesting, so I'll definitely be getting the hardcovers. Thanks for all the information!
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Ooh, if it's OK, I'd love some promo material :D

Hmm, I should start looking for a comic store in the neighborhood where I actually can order via Diamond Previews...
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby strobe_z » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Count me in!

Thanks for getting the info, Ada.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks. So Ada, I take it from what you're saying that the 3 hardcovers are to be the start of the Black Jack series carrying on into the following softcover books. There won't be any softcover releases of the first 3 volumes? At least that's the way I interpret what you've told us.

Still if it is otherwise I would definitely try to buy the soft duplicates as well being an avid Tezuka collector. I see from what others are replying that maybe this is correct after all. I shall be enquiring at my comics shop. :D
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby strobe_z » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Princess Sapphire:

There will be softcover releases of all the books in the series. What we're talking about is a Diamond (distributors) exclusive hardcover version of the first three volumes in the series (and possibly more).

Besides the cover, the books will be the same (the one extra chapter per HC aside...)
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Princess Sapphire » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:46 am

Thank you for clarifying things for me strobe.
It sounds great :D
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Mike Toole » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 am

That's some fantastic news about the 'rescued' out of print stories, Putrocca. I've got the Akita Bunko and Glenat editions, so looks like I'm going to have some stories I've never seen before soon. I'm going to put in my order with my comic store guy this week.

And put me down for a poster, if you have spares. You're in Cambridge, right? Just drop it in my mailbox. ;)
Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby Tetsuwan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 am

I decided to go with the hardcover. So, I brought in the order form from Diamond's page and handed it in the day before the deadline. I figured this was my only chance to own BlackJack in it's entirety (or at least as much as Diamond is translating). I was getting tired of passing up chances to buy Osamu Tezuka books when they got released, which gives me a risk of now paying more for them.

By the way putrocca if there is any left I'd love to get a sample issue.
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't know yet how many samples and posters they'll send me but I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out myself.

The hardcovers should be released at the same time as the softcovers of vols. 1-3, and I'll definitely be getting both for completeness' sake. I've seen samples of the covers and they're gorgeous - I'll try to post images soon.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Huscheli » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:35 am

Where exactly can I order the Hardcover ones? I haven't found a store with them o.o
Last edited by Huscheli on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to English Language Releases