[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Pluto

Pluto

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby the donkey » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 pm

okey, thanks Tomatogal.
At the moment I have Vol. 1, 2 and 5 in dutch, but I'm planning on buying the whole serie in english.

realy was curious about the original Pluto story, so wanted to pick it up as my next Tezuka manga...
the donkey

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm

I don't think you'll be disappointed the donkey, as long as you go in understanding that the original Astro Boy manga was written in the late 1950's early 1960's. I believe I'm safe saying that "the strongest robot in the world" is far and away the most popular Astro Boy story. It's got everything you could ask for.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:29 am

I am preparing to create a review of Greatest Robot; it will have images of all the major characters from the 3 manga versions & 3 animated versions. While I focus mainly on how the later versions differ from the original, I think there will be enough here to make everyone happy.

I do not know if either of the U.S. comics had a version, though. :oops:

I hope to upload it by this time next week! :lol:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 am

If you do it in light of Pluto, I think it could have a lot of relevance. As much as we all love Tezuka, I am recognizing more and more that Tezuka does risk being lost on a new generation, especially given the quality of some of the new remakes (reverence over relevance!) Pluto shows one way in which Tezuka can actually evolve (and looking at pieces like MW, I think Tezuka would have found the manner of Pluto's re-imagining an inspirational act.)

I hope you consider adding it to your article.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:54 am

I will include references to Pluto, but in this review, everything is referenced to the original Manga. I have tons of notes on Pluto & how its plot elements were apparently inspired by episodes throughout the Astroboy corpus (sounds better than 'body', huh?), but for this page, I will include only a few.

I had uploaded some 115 portraits, only to realize that at only 63x63 pixels, a row of 7 is still too wide. I had to resize all of them to 53x53 to fit them. Then I had to copy all the new URLs into my page. I considered some other format, but that would involve a new design & I just did not like the idea of creating one at that time. Right now, most of the images are linked to the appropriate cells, & about all that remains is to format the text, find the appropriate citation data, etc. You will see how I tie plot elements in this story to episodes in Sailor Moon & Lost in Space! :lol:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby theorah » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm

theorah

Tezuka reader

Previous

Return to English Language Releases