[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Bilingual Japanese/English translations

Bilingual Japanese/English translations

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Bilingual Japanese/English translations

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:23 pm

David's post brings to mind the fact that in Japan, several bilingual editions were published of various Tezuka works. It is clearly worthwhile to pursue these publications, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to generate a list of these releases.

I've been so lucky as to obtain Crime and Punishment along with the Princess Knight series. David mentions The Third Eye. What else is out there?
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby David » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:45 am

I don't think there are many more things.

One book that comes to mind is an old hard cover called
Tezuka Osamu no Subete ("All of Tezuka Osamu").

It is really a book in Japanese covering all kinds of subjects
from the beginning of Tezuka's career - Illustrated filmography, misc illustrations, book cover designs,
strips and shorts, political cartoons.

There is ocassional bilingual text including many of the one panel
cartoons.

I'll try to scan one and post it.

David
David

cartoon A

Postby David » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:49 am

David

cartoon B

Postby David » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:50 am

David

cartoon C

Postby David » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:51 am

David

Postby strobe_z » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:36 am

As far as I know, Princess Knight and Crime and Punishment are it. The Third-Eyed One is basically 40 pages about half-way through the first volume... and it was never an item for sale.

Thanks for posting those images, David... that last one rocks!
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby putrocca » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:23 pm

Yes, I also believe Princess Knight and Crime and Punishment are it, though it's important to remember that the catalogue from the Tezuka Museum is bilingual English/Japanese as well and has images from and summaries of many very rare series. It's a great book - this is one of the ones my Tezuka museum contact has for sale if any of you want it, just let me know.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:48 am

Me, me, me!
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:10 am

the other Kodansha sample book was for Black Jack.
There are 2 stories - One is called "A Lifeless Painting".
The second is "The Lion Mask Disease" which reminds me much of Ode to Kirihito.

I'll post a couple pics to give a better idea.
D
David

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:11 am

David

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:12 am

David

Return to English Language Releases