[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga (Hardcover)

The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga (Hardcover)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby BJ4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised no one have mentionned the release of this book 2 months ago :

I think it's by far the most complete book ever released in western countries regarding Tezuka and his work. It's nicely documented and comes with a 45mn DVD as a bonus.

Below is a review written by a customer on Amazon :

It comes with cardboard onlay of Astro Boy pasted on top the hardcover, a 45 minute documentary DVD and a soft transparent vinyl dust jacket. There are two publishers for the book, Ilex and Abrams ComicArt, with Ilex distributing for the UK market.

The author Helen McCarthy has compiled a rather in depth biography of Osamu Tezuka. The content is presented chronologically detailing the different characters, book titles and animation he has created. Over his career, he has created a staggering amount of over 170,000 pages of comic in over 700 titles. He's a prolific artist at the start who became even more so after using comic assistants, a system currently used today to create comics and animation.

In addition to the manga and anime art, there are also a lot of great photos of Osamu Tezuka, even from when he was a kid born in 1928, thanks to his father who's a photographer. The biography looks at his life of creating comics from when he was a kid, to studying medicine and to the post war period when he rose to fame with the numerous creation to his name.

Since he created so many titles, the book only list his key works and characters. But even so, there are quite a lot ranging from his 4-panel strips to Black Jack and later on animation titles. It's interesting to find out that many characters he created actually cross over to other titles making cameo appearances, sometimes even including Osamu Tezuka himself. Many themes in his comics are from his philosophy and influences from life.

On the DVD, the documentary shows us how he works when camera men are allowed, for the first time, into his personal studio. There's a section showing him rushing for a publication deadline while chasing a flight overseas at the same time. He was drawing on the car, with his editor holding a watch, constantly informing him of the time left. There's a shot of his assistant smiling which I interpret it to be, "That's how he is all the time, drawing." He finished the rest of the pages on the plane and met the deadline by faxing them over.

This book is really well put together and comes with a great video documentary as well. It's recommended to all fans of Osamu Tezuka.

BJ4ever

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 pm

First I wasn't interested in the book (because I know a lot about Tezuka already, so basic books are boring). But reading your post and seeing the amazon review there is, I'm quite interested now (many nice pictures). It looks pretty cool.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby BJ4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm

It is nice indeed. I received mine a few days ago and it's really worth the money :)

The book contains a lot of pictures and the layout is nicely done. It's a big size full color book printed on high quality paper. There are a few similar books available in Japan, but as i said, it's the first time i can read in english such Art Book focused on Tezuka.
Last edited by BJ4ever on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ4ever

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

The tone of my post was all wrong, so I've deleted it.
Last edited by KimbaWLion on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh well, I don't really care much about the Kimba Anime. So if that's the only problem, I guess I can live with it. It will be the case that there wont be much new information in it for me though...but it's nice, with the hardcover and the DVD and all....so, why not. It doesn't seem too expensive either.

@Kimba: I'm interested to hear what you think of the DVD then :D
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby BJ4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 pm

As for the DVD documentary, it was aired in Japan in 1986 and comes for the first time with english subtitles.

Here is a short sequence from it :

@Kimba: I found interesting informations (and pictures/drawings) about works i've never heard of before in that book.
BJ4ever

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:16 pm

I got this book about a month and a half ago, but I just started getting into it (I was busy reading ).

Anyway, I have to say that, quite the opposite of KimbaWLion, I was surprised to find the book exceeded my expectations. Of course, that could be because my expectations were quite low to being with... I hadn't banked on anything beyond a bunch of glossy pictures of Tezuka artwork. So to find out there was actually some biographical text in there as well was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect an in-depth analysis of any of Tezuka's works, but rather an overview of the whole.

I will say that from a production value standpoint this book receives high marks from me. The clear vinyl dustjacket and the cardboard embossed Astro are clever... but I like that sort of thing. The content is not spectacular in its layout, but it's functional and not overly utilitarian... it's just not pushing and boundries a la Chip Kidd.

I haven't got to the DVD yet... I'm kinda saving that one till the end, but I doubt I'll be disappointed. All in all, a very nice book that's worth the $32 I paid for it.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:09 pm

This is 1 of either of 2 things I requested from my sister who drew my name from the hat. I will buy it eventually if it is not the chosen present. 8)
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Princess Sapphire » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 pm

I've read my copy and watched the DVD. :D

Well worth it indeed. If I could change just one thing about it though, I would add reference to Duke Deralomon and Lord Nylon to the chapter about Tezuka's star system cast of actors. It seems a pity they were missed since all the other characters seem to have been covered faithfully.
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 pm

It is indeed great to have a single comprehensive overview of Tezuka's work such as this. It really stimulates my desire that more of his works would be available in English so that we could explore them further. There's just so much that he did, and with such depth behind it, and most if it is out of our reach. Maybe this book will help turn that around.
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby chronocross_xp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 am

Last edited by chronocross_xp on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chronocross_xp

Tezuka reader

Postby mokonafan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 am

....(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ☆Wanna-be mermaid since 1994☆ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧....
mokonafan

Tezuka reader

Postby ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm

ben

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsuwan Atomu » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 am

Tetsuwan Atomu

Tezuka reader

Next