[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Book of Human Insects (spoilers)

Book of Human Insects (spoilers)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Book of Human Insects (spoilers)

Postby David » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 am

I'm now slowly reading the Book of Human Insects. There are 4 chapters. Would love to discuss with others who have or are reading it.

David
David

Tezuka reader

Re: Book of Human Insects (spoilers)

Postby strobe_z » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am

This is one of my favorite Tezuka stories, so I'm in. How far have you gotten?
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby David » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm purposely going slowly... just finishing chapter 2. One puzzling thing is the chapter titles. Should I go back and read chapter one thinking about "Spring Cicada"? Should I think about the quality of the bugs themselves or is Tezuka thonking my skull again.?
David

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

Savour the book chapter by chapter. I read it in French originally (La Femme Insect), but I haven't read it in English yet - curious to see if there's much difference. I don't remember the insect chapter names having any "hidden meanings" but I'm hardly an expert on any of them.

One thing that intrigued me was if copying someone actually amounts to stealing... Toshiko (that's her name, right?) has a talent for copying other talents and surpassing them - but what exactly is it about the experience that leaves the other person empty after the exchange. I know there's a sense of betrayal... but is it really?

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:14 am

I just finished reading my copy; it was too fantastic that anyone could be so good in so many things, not to mention learning them so effortlessly.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby strobe_z » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:46 am

That's the "insect" part... ;)

Seriously, it's a bit far fetched, I'll admit, however I don't think it takes that much to suspend one's disbelief in this case. There are often people who are better mimics than "true talents". There's a reason that master art forgers are still just criminals - their skill is in the copy, not in the creation. I don't think it's unbelievable that someone would be able to be a great mimic in many fields.

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby David » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:38 am

Chapter Three called Long Horn Beetle, starts with focus on the character named Kabuto.

The name for long horn beetle in Japanese is kabuto mushi. (There is something there. I'm going to look back at the previous chapter titles before moving on.)

There certainly have been notable impostors, like Abagnale immortalized by DiCaprio in Catch me if you Can,
And Demara portrayed by Tony Curtis in The Great Impostor.
Improbable but true. These are geniuses.

Continuing my rambling, it is the succubus while steals ones power and strength.. and so often played by a woman taking from a man.
The Tezuka character has other flaws and makes me think of a variety of psychiatric diagnoses like sociopathic personality disorder, borderline personality or others. Indeed, spending time with these kinds of people leaves one emotionally, if not mentally drained.
I can see it. Not a stretch.

Ok, we have here a comic version of whatever personality disorder is going on but all in the vicinity of what could be true.

David
David

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 pm

:o Hmm; I would not have though even a genius could have so much physically-based talent. :mrgreen:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Deda » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 am

You have to consider the insects the chapter take their name after while reading this. If you go and study them a bit and then read the chapter it adds a third reading to the story, it's quite cool. XD
Deda

Tezuka Nut

Postby strobe_z » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:48 am

Can you expand on that a bit, Deda? I know hardly anything about insects, but I'm curious to know about the subtle meanings.

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Traveller » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I read this today. I quite liked it, I think I will read it again soon.

The main character is insane and disgusting really, yet its endlessly fascinating to follow her and watch what she does next.
Traveller

Tezuka reader

Return to English Language Releases