[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Tezuka's "Barbara" now published in English

Tezuka's "Barbara" now published in English

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Tezuka's "Barbara" now published in English

Postby AprilSeven » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:17 am

As some of you know, I was a $35 backer of the Kickstarter project to translate and publish Osamu Tezuka's adult manga from 1973-74, "Barbara."

I wasn't sure how I was going to respond to this book -yes, it is VERY different from Astro Boy - but I'm finding it almost impossible to put down. I received it just a day ago, and I'm more than halfway through it (with a full time job, family stuff and choir practice mixed in 8) )

What I find so stunning is Tezuka's skill as a storyteller, and he's an incredible draftsmanship. It's more like "reading a movie" - more like "Pluto" - but I have to say - even more gutsy and dramatic than Urasawa's work, which I loved.

Osamu was blessed with the ability to write powerfully and succinctly, and also illustrate with imagination and a film director's "eye." It is incredibly sophisticated, because he's telling a borderline psychedelic tale of drama, and then will unexpectedly insert humor or almost "wackiness" but somehow keep the whole thing from becoming silly or exploitative.

Frederik Schodt wrote the introduction, and sets the stage for what Tezuka is doing here . . . this work is he venture into "modern" manga; his response to people writing him off as a mere "children's storyteller."

"Barbara" is very, very dark and goes places I certainly don't think about, but I often wondered what Dr. Tezuka thought of the culture of the 1960's, hippies, drugs, "free love," and exploring the occult. I've got a LOT more to say about this fascinating book, but I want to finish it first, and hopefully can talk about it with more forum members. Yes, there is nudity and some graphic depiction of things that make me go :shock: and :roll: but not THAT bad.

If you're reading it too, let me know what you think!!
AprilSeven

Tezuka reader

Re: Tezuka's "Barbara" now published in English

Postby F-Man » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:00 am

It's taking me longer and longer to decide which Tezuka to read after I finish one series. I settled on Princess Knight for next but I might have to consider Barbara after that so I can keep up with the fuss among the English-speaking fans. ;)
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby phap » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I have Barbara in french, and it's certainly one of my favorites. I'm not good at reviews, so I'll just say: read it! I'm sure it's not the taste for everyone though, but anyway you should read this piece of art.
phap

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 pm

I just got my copy of the Barbara digital companion. Haven't had a chance to read Helen McCarthy's essay yet, but even flipping through the translator's notes was interesting. I'm really glad I chose this option on the Kickstarter. :)
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Return to English Language Releases