[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Jungle Emperor Manga finally in English!!

Jungle Emperor Manga finally in English!!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Jungle Emperor Manga finally in English!!

Postby Whitelion » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 pm

A Bilingual Japanese and English version of the original "Jungle Emperor" Manga has been released!! FINALLY! This is the first time the manga has ever been translated into English, so if Vertical never picks it up, this is the way to go! Currently it's only for sale on Amazon Japan, but you don't need a Middleman like Celga to have it shipped internationally!! Currently it's only half of the manga, 191 pages long, but the second half will be coming out soon (though a specific date hasn't been given). Also, a Bilingual Astro Boy was released at the same time.
Order it here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%8B%B1%E8%AA ... gy_b_img_y
(Yes, I am freaking out.)
Whitelion

Tezuka reader

Re: Jungle Emperor Manga finally in English!!

Postby F-Man » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh my, a lot of people are going to be very happy about this. I wonder if this could mean that Digital Manga will release this digitally soon using the same translation.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Ametrine » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I recently obtained this version of the comic from , it's very nice. I've never read it nor seen the entire animated version(s), so I'm really enjoying learning Leo's backstory. I find the little indexes/dictionaries of sorts between the chapters interesting too.
Ametrine

Tezuka reader

Postby medama_oyaji » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Has there been any word from DMP about releasing this? It's on the top of my list of Tezuka manga that I'd like to read in English, and have considered importing the bilingual edition, but I'd rather support a domestic release if possible. I know that DMP has licensed the entire Tezuka library for digital release... I would assume this is in the pipeline!
medama_oyaji

Postby strobe_z » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I think "entire library for digital release" might be a bit overselling it actually. I'm waiting on some confirmation/clarification from DMP, but my understanding is that their licensing is not complete... and one of the key titles missing from it is Jungle Emperor.

I have no idea what, if any, plans Tezuka Productions has for Jungle Emperor, they could announce a license tomorrow, but it won't be hitting shelves any sooner because of DMP's digital license. If you want it in English, your best bet is the bilingual edition. I have a copy on my shelf and I know it actually exists. I will warn you though, it only covers the first volume of the manga, and I've seen no imminent sign that any more is being released in a bilingual edition. It's more of an educational tool than a true manga fan release, so I think it might actually just be a sampling of some of Tezuka's works (including Astro Boy) and might not be finished.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby medama_oyaji » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh really? Seem to remember it being announced that way. And I thought I recalled seeing photos on Twitter of their panel announcing it and seeing Jungle Emperor amongst the images on the screen. But perhaps it was just a "Y'know, Tezuka!" image that didn't necessarily correspond with their plans. That would be very disappointing...

I do own Jungle Emperor in Japanese, but I have a tough time reading without furigana. I could tell from the info on Amazon that the bilingual edition is incomplete, but perhaps I should go for it anyway.
medama_oyaji

Postby medama_oyaji » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Ok, sorry for the double-post, but here is that photo I mentioned https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/352946352206012416
medama_oyaji

Postby strobe_z » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:25 pm

Yeah, I know what the announcement said, and I don't have too much in the way of cold hard facts, but I've been in touch with DMP and have a list of their digital licenses. It's long, but not complete. Most of the glaring omissions are obvious... Such as Phoenix, since Viz is offering it online right now. But I looked specifically for Jungle Emperor (as well as Princess Knight [Shojo Club]) and neither of them are on it.

Now that could mean Tezuka Pro just wants that lengthy list released first and the rest will come eventually. It could just be a typo (which I doubt), or it could mean that "basically all Tezuka, except a few major and some minor exceptions" doesn't make as clean an announcement as "all Tezuka". With a list that long, most fans won't know the difference.

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby F-Man » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Digital Manga licensed 200 titles. That's not all of them, technically.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby strobe_z » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 am

Not even close to "all"... But more than enough to keep them busy. Where did you hear 200 though? I didn't actually count the list, but that seems about right.

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby F-Man » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 am

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Existential Warrior » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

Postby Mamango » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 am

I have found out that the english Jungle Emperor Manga is only 1\3 of the entire manga not half so if Jippi English Comics plans on releasing more of Jungle Emperor they will release 2 more volumes making 3 in all, also sad to say but it is highly unlikely that there will be more japanese\english Jungle Emperor by this publisher. Also Thanks Tezuka In English for taking this research and putting in your description of Jungle Emperor im always happy to help this site and these discussion forums. :mrgreen:
Mamango

Tezuka reader

Return to English Language Releases