[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Black Jack TV Series in English

Black Jack TV Series in English

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Black Jack TV Series in English

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Well I hope I didn't overlook a similar thread about this topic since it can't be that I'm the only one who has noticed it. :D The Black Jack TV series from 2004 is being shown on some anime channel called animax as it seems with an english dub.
(as you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0k6_ULapxU )

Not that I really care for english dubs, no, but maybe we can hope for DVD's? A rerelease of the manga in english? Would be nice.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Metropolisforever » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:01 pm

It's already been released on DVD.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Yes in Japanese. But I'm not a person who likes to pay 5000 Yen for three or four episodes. (Especially not if the series counts 63 episodes.)

As far as I know only the OVA has been released in the US, if you mean that.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Metropolisforever » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:30 pm

The television series has been released on DVD in English.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm

Really? Well thats great. ^__^
But I can't find it on amazon.com
Can you give me the link?
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Re: Black Jack TV Series in English

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:52 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Metropolisforever » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Just to clarify

Postby roryheadmav » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, Animax Asia has been airing the Black Jack series since January 2 (for the Philippines and the rest of Southeast Asia) and it is being dubbed in English by the channel's voice actors. As much as I preferred it subtitled being a huge Akio Ohtsuka fan, I must point out that the English dubbing that Animax did was comparatively BETTER than the official American dub from the OVAs. At present, the Black Jack anime series has NOT yet been acquired by any American DVD distribution company.

PS Animax is presently being offered in Southeast Asia, East Asia and Latin America, NOT in the US.
roryheadmav

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:15 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Sun May 27, 2007 11:56 am

I knew it! I never heard of Black Jack in English sold in DVD!

Since I'm watching it from Animax-Asia, I'd say the dubbing is pretty good. But here are a few problems:

1) Black Jack's dubber is quite inconsistent. Sometimes he's up, sometimes he's down. Do you even get what I'm trying to say?

2) They changed Pinoko's dubber after Karte 26. The first one did way better. This other one sounds inexperienced and she only brings less than half the emotion the first one expressed. *sigh* Why, Animax!? Why!?

3) Largo was dubbed to be a male dog.

4) They use the same dubbers over and over again. Example: The dubber for Doctor Oedo (played by Rock) is the same as Luna (played by Buddha).

5) When episodes that require the same dubbers for some characters are quite far apart, they change them. Little Kuroo had a higher pitched dubber than now.

6) The characters say stuff inacurate to the actual content or the obvious. Example: Black Jack says, "I remember when I bought this place. It was just an empty lot." Then, we see an abandoned house on the cliff that just needed to be rebuilt. Or the one that disturbs me the most. The assistant doctor was pressuring Black Jack and he shouts, "QUIT YOUR DAMN PESSIMISIM! YOU'RE RUINING MY MOOD!

Lots of flaws but hey, I love it! I grew up with that channel! Back then, there were no anime channels on cable in Asia. I appreciate Animax-Asia for bringing us Black Jack TV.
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Postby pinoko_love~senseii » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 am

pinoko_love~senseii

Tezuka reader

Location: Indonesia, a country fullfill with corruption and forest...and island too ^__^

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:59 am

I'd love to see this series get an english release on DVD.
After seeing the 1996 ? (I think that's the year it was made) movie I know I'd enjoy more BlackJack tales. And I really adore Pinoko. I'd love to see what sort of roles she plays in the stories.
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:46 am

I know! I hated them for that!
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Return to English Language Releases