[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Phoenix Vol. 7 - Now Available!

Phoenix Vol. 7 - Now Available!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Phoenix Vol. 7 - Now Available!

Postby strobe_z » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 pm

I just picked up my copy of Phoenix Vol. 7, so here's some initial thoughts...

$15.99 USD / $21.99 CDN
319 Pages

I've been trying to figure out how many volumes the Viz phoenix series will turn out to be. Checking the Chinese language scans my best guess is that it'll look like this:

Vol. 7 - Civil War
Vol. 8 - Civil War/Robe of Feathers
Vol. 9 - Life/Strange Beings
Vol. 10 - Sun

I did happen to notice that Viz skipped a page in this volume. Unless they open Civil War part two with it, I'll be a tiny bit disappointed. I mean they could've done without repeating the same Afterword for the upteenth time and just included it. Oh well, for reference sake this page should come right between pages 318 and 319....

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby cmoon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Mine is preorderd from Amazon. I hope it will show up soon!
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:33 am

Mine should be waiting in my comic store bin when I get back from AnimeNEXt this weekend.

It's sad to delay it, but it's worth it to get to meet Rintaro (Metropolis, Phoenix Ho-o, Tezuka Osamu Story: I am Son Goku) and Maruyama (Metropolis, New Kimba TV, Princess Knight TV). I'll be wearing my BJ costume, and have a Rock and a Pinoko with me. Who wants to bet I'll be the only one in the autograph line to have them sign the Rock encyclopedia and the Boku wa Goku movie dvd?
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby mippa » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:58 am

And there will be many pictures, yes?
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:22 pm

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby strobe_z » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:27 pm

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby strobe_z » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:33 pm

I just picked up (but haven't read) part two of Civil War. I did read through "Robe of Feathers" though. It's... interesting, but basically aside from a mention of the Phoenix, it's really not related.

All in all though, it's a neat read. Every frame is shot from the same perspective and it reads very much like a one act play. You can really see
Tezuka's theatrical sensibilities shining though.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby putrocca » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Yes, Robe of Feathers is so completely a Noh play, it's very interesting. But there are also strong elements of Noh in the Civil War chapter (such as the inclusion of particular sets, trees and costumes) so that really tied it together for me. If any of you have a chance you should try to get a hold of a video of a Noh play to see what I mean.

I finished Civil War vol. 2. It was worthy, as expected. I've also been watching more of the Phoenix anime - it's very good, even if they do have to leave things out.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:19 pm

I enjoyed civil war but it seems phoenix keeps getting stranger. As much as you think the stories are about one thing, they ultimately end up being about something else. There is no real conclusion (at least not a happy one!) More a comment on karmic cycles than anything else.

Does anyone know if Phoenix was really completed?
cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:48 pm

Well... Phoenix is called "Tezuka's Unfinished Masterpeice" for a reason... he died before he actually could finish the overal arc. The theory was that the distant past/distant future stories would eventually meet in the middle ('modern day'). That never happened though, so we can only guess where Tezuka was ultimately planning on taking us.

Of course, each chapter of the story is finished, so despite the fact that we never really got the "middle part" of the overall story, there's no chapters that end on unresolved cliffhangers. You can still enjoy each story, but just shed a tear for what we all missed out on.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Return to English Language Releases