[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Black Jack Movie: Two Doctors of Darkness

Black Jack Movie: Two Doctors of Darkness

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Black Jack Movie: Two Doctors of Darkness

Postby mippa » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 am

At long last! Froth-Bite has finally released the recent movie! I highly recommend it (I bought the DVD upon its release), and it includes the special "Pinoco's Forest Adventure" and "A Reminder," both I think shorts Tezuka fans will really appreciate. ^^

I look forward to the reactions of everyone!
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby Path » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:57 am

I watched it last night with my boyfriend (missed the Superbowl...oops) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt more like a set of Black Jack 21 episodes then the normal tv series. And seeing Rock in a "good" role was a bit of a shock :shock: I wished I could have seen it on a big screen though.
We will meet again, when the loops of time touch.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby Amrith » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:34 am

For me it's simply the worst Black Jack anime ever.
Without any doubt.

First of all, it's technically rudimentary, sometimes ugly. It's not the major point of the movie, but it's difficult to forgive bottom-of-the-range graphics when you remember that the superb work of Osamu Dezaki and Akio Sugino on the OAV has been produced in 1993 with less budget. It's not what an anime-fan, and a Tezuka-fan which has watched some things like Astro Boy 2003 TV series for example, wait of a theater release.
Plus, even if the music is right, it simply does not suit with the movie.

About the story, quickly because I am vague in english.
The first half is a poor compilation, made with famous stories taken from the manga and stuck together despite the fact it has no sense. The stories were exciting individually in their manga version, but the lazy and school melting-pot the movie builds with the original material is deformed. No true interest, however more than the awful second part.

The second half is a heap of idiocies where the script finds excuses to explain the actions of a terrorist group and Black Jack almost sympathizes with the criminal leader Rock. This killer Rock is finally described as a romantic hero with a pink heart in the bust. The feelings of all the characters are superficial and we do not care about their sentimental issues. It's not moving. The businessman's plot is unbelievable, all the fighting scenes are involuntarily comic. The message is stereotyped and features unclear elements about terrorism, and I'm not sure it is the Osamu Tezuka's thought we have here. I don't recognize well his philosophy. Characters like Inspector Lamp and Biwamaru appear and disappear without a reason, except they fill the 1H30 time in which the team behind the movie does not know what to tell. Kiriko has given up his charismatic style to become a guy evil at the beginning and a good boy at the end, in a traditionnal series Z's turn. The pseudo-comic sequences featuring Shunsaku Ban and all the gang never manage to be funny. Vacuum scenes for kids which are not sleeping yet.

There are multiple things. Never Black Jack seems to be what he is during the movie, the better surgeon on this planet. He does not impress. The Star-System is poor with no surprises. I searched what really cool things the movie got in its story, but I didn't find despite the fact I like almost all the Mushi and Tezuka Production's anime.

The simple-minded scientific content of the movie is totally puerile. Absurd. The mutant animals on the island, the ridiculous resolution of the disease that five year old children could have found themselves and all the silly and approximative medical considerations are redundant. What a disappointment, it's empty and there is no tension.

It's not a movie, it's a weak compilation for neophytes or courageous kids.
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby putrocca » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 pm

*Sigh* I can't download things here. Hopefully my friends at home will take pity and send me a disc.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:31 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Sun May 27, 2007 11:47 am

*nods* I didn't how Black Jack looked as well as everyone else. *sigh* But still, I'd like to see what it's about. If only Tezuka would really create the moive himself. I'm sure he'd come up with a way better plot.
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Postby WarriorKalia » Mon May 28, 2007 10:05 am

Well, I watched the movie. I have to agree, it basically sucked. I'm not even that deep into Tezuka yet and I can tell it was fairly pathetic. [maybe it's my writer's instincts...] It felt rather contrived and made such little sense through some portions that I had to actually pause the movie to figure out what just happened.

Although the movie itself was poorly animated [I fell in love with the OAVs, actually, but I've come to love the TV as well] and had an even worse storyline [the whole curry thing just had me shaking my head], I suppose it might have some redeeming features. Perhaps I missed them.

To put it metaphorically, imagine an episode of BJ TV is a candy bar. This movie is what you get when you have three or so of them in your pocket all day and they get melted and squished together; seperately they are delicious, together they form an overly large, confusing, sticky mess that fails to be the least bit appetizing. You can't even manage to pick out what ingredients belonged where anymore.

Although the Pinoko thing was kind of cute. It also wasn't that good, but it was better than the movie.

Oh! The redeeming feature. Rock is portrayed in a sort-of good role, and I got to see Kiriko's 'I'm-about-to-kill-someone' smile, which makes me want to cuddle his bony frame for days. Seriously, he looks so happy when he does it, I don't even really want to stop him...
My favorite quote is suppposed to be here, but.. how do I put into a quote the sound of Black Jack's fist hitting Kiriko's face...?
WarriorKalia

Tezuka reader

Postby pinoko_love~senseii » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:15 am

Well...actually I want to watch this movie in YouTube or maybe in Crunhcyroll. I just don't have many times. I think this movie is awesome !!!! :lol:
I like "A special reminder" !!!! That's funny !!!! :lol:
wahahaha !!!!!
pinoko_love~senseii

Tezuka reader

Location: Indonesia, a country fullfill with corruption and forest...and island too ^__^

Return to English Language Releases