[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - DVD of 'Spacefirebird 2772' announced R4

DVD of 'Spacefirebird 2772' announced R4

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

DVD of 'Spacefirebird 2772' announced R4

Postby cmoon » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:24 pm

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalo ... ethod=view

Wondering whether I should wait and see if a US version turns up...
cmoon

Postby deadbeatpete » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Anyone know what the original aspect ratio of this was? I don't know whether I should be hoping it's anamorphic or not.
deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby deadbeatpete » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Forget that. I just found the details I needed at http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/786646.

Now I just need to find some money. Having a multiregion DVD player is fantastic, but it get's expensive!
deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 pm

cmoon

Postby deadbeatpete » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:58 pm

deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:47 pm

I found an answer for that too. Most office stores (like Staples here in the US) offer a big bookcase for cheap (often goes on sale for $25). I custom built more shelves for it and lined the backs with spare jewel cases (I run a music label so I have a ton of those), and the depth is perfect for TONS of music, dvds and books. Still, I also find myself running short of room...

Wonder if Madman will sell to the US???
cmoon

Postby deadbeatpete » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:18 pm

I have no idea about madman but ezydvd, the store i mentioned before ship internationally and I have used them before with no trouble.
deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 am

Does anyone know if this DVD has both the uncut and cut versions or just one?
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby deadbeatpete » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 am

It's listed as 122 minutes on ezydvd and as it's an Australian release I assume that it is in PAL. I have no idea which version that is. You may know more...?
Last edited by deadbeatpete on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:21 am

Well I went ahead and ordered from madman since ezdvd had it listed as out of stock (I've also ordered from them before and had good luck.)

I hope this is not the edited version. I really know very little about this film.
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Wow! Just finished watching it, and must say this is a real treat for Tezuka fans. For starters, the animation is really top notch and shows all the experimentation we have come to known from his shorts; and the film feels at times more a celebration of animation rather than settling down and being a film (this can be both a good and bad thing). There are guest appearances by most of the major characters (Mustachio, Black Jack, Lamp, Shunken (a monk in Civil War, probably appears elsewhere), Gao/Saruta, and of course Rock (an older Rock who doesn't look so much like the one we know.) I'm really surprised there's no Hamegg, but not everyone can make the cut.

The film itself is great stuff, though it doesn't seem to be adapted from any one book of phoenix, nor does it really fit into the phoenix time-line. The role of the phoenix rather surprised me too, namely the price she exacts from Godo sort of surprised me (though it was rather touching.)

I suspect after seeing the film that this is the unedited version. It runs 2 hours and there was quite a bit of 'gratuitous' animation (parts where Tezuka just animated fun things because he wanted to!) So it is easy to imagine an edited for of this.

So were there other major animated movies by Tezuka?
cmoon

Postby Amrith » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 am

cmoon

Postby Amrith » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:52 pm

cmoon

Next