[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Do you think that Dark Horse Comics will release Leo manga?

Do you think that Dark Horse Comics will release Leo manga?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Do you think that Dark Horse Comics will release Leo manga?

Postby Metropolisforever » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:08 pm

:?

Since they released the Astro Boy manga, maybe they should release the Kimba, Unico, and other characters familiar to American audiences manga.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Red » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

If they've published Astro, then certainly it wouldn't hurt to do the other 'cutesy' characters.
I'd love to see Leo...it's my second fave Tezuka creation. T3T
Red

Tezuka reader

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:34 am

hrm

you know what?

I would prefer it for Tokyo Pop or Udon Publishing to publish tezuka's works ^_^

They are a bit better with trying to keep things in order and stuff !:D!
Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby putrocca » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 am

I doubt Viz would do Kimba because it's not very long and they prefer long series so they can profit from the gradual popularity buildup long series have. I'd say Dark Horse is more likely, since they do more small-press-ish stuff.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Tokyopop is known for publishing useless crap, like Love Horror.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Huscheli » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 pm

Tokyopop publishes some of my favourite manga even if they don't have old stuff. Nobody cares if you don't like it...
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:48 pm

I never said ALL the manga they published was useless crap.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Huscheli » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:20 pm

You said "is known for publishing crap"
This implies "all" or "most", which isn't true. A lot of Tokyopop manga are great (at least for me). So, who cares.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:32 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby strobe_z » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:57 pm

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:23 pm

What is "SF"?

I'm glad Tokyopop doesn't have any Tezuka series.

They might give them the usual hackjob. :roll:

That is bringing horrible thoughts into my mind...

"HOLY CRAP!!! This "Phoenix: Karma" book is way too Japanese-ish and artsy!"

"You're right. We need to localize it, modernize it, edit it, and add lots of vulgar american slang and excessive swearing."

Last edited by Metropolisforever on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:25 pm

SF is science fiction. He's referring to Lost World, Next World, and Metropolis. But I would like to see a one-volume release, as it's a great series.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm

The other science-fiction books bombed, but the Astro Boy books did pretty well.

I can imagine the Kimba books might also do pretty well...
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby cmoon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Of all the presses mentioned, dark horse is probably the only likely choice, and I think even that is unlikely.

Astro probably DID NOT do well for Dark Horse. I copies of it laying around everywhere. One local store marked them to under half price just to get rid of them.

This of course won't change Dark Horse's desire to release Tezuka, though they certainly must now understand that it will probably be a money-losing venture unless they either find some different marketing strategies -or- do a really small run size.

It also still faces the delimma of how Africans are depicted in the comic, which would certainly be considered derogatory by today's standards and even back in the 60's caused Tezuka to omit showing any Africans in the original Kimba series (it is OK to have goofy looking white people, but goofy looking black people...ah, I'm sure Tezuka didn't get this at all, especially given that he was just copying the way Disney had drawn Africans.)

It seems to me that however publication of Jungle Emperor happens, it will only happen as a labor of love. So we might see it from some unexpected pressing plant. Perhaps even one of those presses that does underground comics.

For myself, I am amazed how things that were once mainstream fall out of popularity to a point of belonging more to avant-garde circles. We live in an age where smithsonian's anthology of american folk music is praised among weirdo-music collectors/outsiders (like myself), but entirely absense from any modern collective consciousness. Tezuka (and especially Leo) is like that too. Because it doesn't fit a pre-existing niche, it goes into the stratosphere.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Metropolisforever » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 pm

A lot of stores don't have the Astro Boy books...
Metropolisforever

Banned

Next

Return to English Language Releases