[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Hi no Tori (2004 mini-series)

Hi no Tori (2004 mini-series)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Hi no Tori (2004 mini-series)

Postby Metropolisforever » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Do you think it will get much viewership on PBS?

Do you think it might do better on [adult swim], or something?
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby putrocca » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 pm

The first disc of phoenix is up for pre-order now. Looks like a great release, and cheap, 5 episodes per disc and each disc is $20. If you order it from Rightstuf it's $15 instead of $20 with their pre-order discount:

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm

Time to post about this:

I got vol. 1 a few days ago and finished watching it today. The first volume includes all of Dawn and the first episode of Resurrection.

The production on Dawn is not terribly good. Watchable, but all economy, no art (even Kimba was artistic at times!) The first episode of Resurrection looks much better--nothing spectacular, but looks better than some bible cartoon or something (hahaha, that's what Dawn looks like!)

Story-wise, Dawn is VERY literal and when it makes minor plot changes, they are often for the better (rounding out Saruta's character for instance.) My only complaint here is the ending feels VERY rushed and one worries it might be enough to really botch this rendition for people new to the story--which is too bad since the story is actually executed very well up until that point. I also miss the Phoenix's lines to the boy climbing out of the pit: "You must live, you have the right to!"

Resurrection however is a different matter--the adaptation seems much literal, but that doesn't seem to be a bad thing, and the animation is better. This single episode felt much closer to the way that Tezuka would adapt his own stories and has already included a human-robot kiss. Anyway, this seems like great stuff after the rather luke-warm Phoenix.

And just in time:

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:06 pm

I've only seen the first episode, but I noticed they changed the character of the foreign doctor quite a bit. In the manga he was complicit in the invasion, now he's just a fool. That bothered me.

I hadn't noticed the shaky production values though; I may have been blindsided by the stunning opening credits.
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby Huscheli » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 pm

In this version, he says he didn't know the people would be killed and thought they were only there to get the phoenix.

Personally I actually find the explanation a little easier to stomach than him knowing that everyone would be killed.
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:22 pm

I just watched it, & had read the manga for the 1st time about a month ago. I too, noticed the difference with the doctor guy, & agree that it seems better that he was told that the Phoenix itself was the only goal of his people. It makes him far more convincing an infiltrator if he himself believes the lie. He is a bit like a sleeper agent, he fits into the society becuase he thinks he belongs there. 8)

I did not notice any lack of artistic quality in the Dawn portion, or that the last episode was different in that respect.

:?: Is there a date set for vol. 2's release :?:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:26 pm

cmoon

Postby putrocca » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:43 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Huscheli » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 pm

In Germany we never got a box, but they added the OST to the last DVD (as a second Disc - not in it's own case).
Maybe this will happen in America too? Instead of a box I mean.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:04 am

cmoon

Return to English Language Releases