[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Greetings and salutations

Greetings and salutations

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Greetings and salutations

Postby Mike Toole » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:40 am

Hi,

I've been a fan of comics and animation all of my life, so it's not too strange that I'd gravitate towards the works of Osamu Tezuka, a master of both artforms.

My favorite work of Dr Tezuka's (and one of my general favorites) is Black Jack. I was introduced to the character by the 1996 OVA series and was instantly hooked by his chilly demeanor and rigid moral code. I'd seen favorites like Kimba and Astroboy previously, but didn't latch onto Dr Tezuka's works until seeing Black Jack. Since then, I've gotten a wealth of Tezuka's works in print and on DVD (I've got most of the Japanese and French editions of Black Jack, as well as the two Viz books-- can't wait for Vertical's release in the fall!!). Black Jack is still my favorite-- along with the comics, I've got both Japanese and US editions of the Dezaki/Sugino OVAs, the movie, one of the live-action TV films (the Masahiro Motoki one, not the earlier ones starring Daisuke Ryu which I'm still looking for) and a ton of ancillary toys and goodies.

Of course, I have a lot of other stuff-- I'm particularly fond of Alakzam the Great, Wonder 3 (the comics are GREAT, wish Vertical would publish a big fat book a la Apollo or MW or Ode to Kirihito!), Metropolis, and Marine Express.

I've visited this site before, but I wasn't aware how active and vibrant the forums here are. I look forward to pursuing more of Tezuka's buried treasures with you all!
Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:57 am

Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Princess Sapphire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Potato » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:31 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby strobe_z » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Mike Toole » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 am

Glad to be here. Incidentally, I occasionally produce a video segment for Anime News Network-- the two I've done so far both include a small feature on a Tezuka cartoon. You can see bits about Alakazam the Great and Princess Knight by going and .

Other than that, I've been doing the anime thing for awhile-- staffed several conventions (ACen, Anime Boston, Katuscon), been published in a some years back, have a (dormant for the last couple of years), etc. Currently I'm the anime columnist for .
Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:14 am

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Black Jack » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

I had intended it as a joke, but they took it as sage advice.
Black Jack

Tezuka reader

Postby Mike Toole » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby Potato » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:16 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby cmoon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Mike Toole » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:57 pm

Mike Toole

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:28 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z