[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Oh, no; another introduction...!

Oh, no; another introduction...!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Oh, no; another introduction...!

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am

To start from the beginning, I was born just a tad under 20 years ago, in the US--I mean, the beginning of what is relevant here.

Unless it is explicitly assigned, I do not finish art pieces. That would be drawing as an end, and like no proper artist, I use it as a means. Being a fiction writer and, in fact, not a proper artist, this is okay. Though I ultimately work in words, I have an extremely visual mind that often likes to think on a sketchpad. Often, I draw someone I am writing about, something I might write about sometime, something I probably won't write about but want to see with my own eyes, and of course, cute, unrelated doodles that serve no purpose but to warm up my brain.

My goal, then, is that of anyone who draws: to be able to put to paper what goes on in my head. This, the development of one's own style ultimately comes from within, but if one also discovers a mentor one can relate to (Cartoonists--you remember that time you picked up one of those "how to draw" books for inspiration and found but sinisterly shaded bowls of fruit and sketchy versions of the default Windows XP wallpaper? This was not one of these.), whose style rings at a note that, to you, rings loud and beautifully clear, that is a truly special gift.

The first time I heard of Osamu Tezuka's work was when my cousin described to me a TV series he enjoys called Black Jack. The premise sounded intriguing--when I expressed my interest, he linked me to a couple of stills from the show. And it was animated. I had been expecting one of those live action hospital shows or at least a typical anime, but instead, it was drawn in a style I had never seen before. It did fall into the category of anime, but as I had with none before, I could empathize with the hand that had drawn these characters. Many individual lines succeeded in expressing things that I could remember wanting to express and trying to in pages and pages of crossed out scribbles and only half expressing in styles and ways that did not quite click with what was in my mind's eye. I thought to myself: if what I write were images instead of pages of words, it would look a lot like this.

I was too busy at the time to even write; I looked further into this artist's work only a few months later, for reasons I do not remember.

I did a lot, mostly on this very website. I fell in love more and more with the artistic style--Tezuka's and my own had a bit in common before I had ever heard of him, so it really spoke to and inspired me--as well as the personality behind it. If this artist and I were to meet and chat about the creative process, I like to imagine that we would get along--teacher and student, face to face. This is impossible: he died the very year I was born.

All that happened quite recently, and compared to many in these forums, I have probably seen very little of Tezuka's work. The Metropolis anime, the obvious one, I have seen; a fraction of the original Black Jack anime; the first volume of Phoenix (and dreaming of the second); Nextworld, which I felt like I had loved before I had ever known it existed; Marine Express; and Black Jack: Two Doctors of Darkness, which, like anime Metropolis, was not written by Tezuka himself, but I can't resist Rock in a major role! Yes, that's right--due to reading Transformation, I'm another Rock fan.

And anything else you might want to know will likely reveal itself as I keep on posting. This place seems welcoming, my favorite quality in a forum, and I'm glad I found it!
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 am

tl;dr :wink:

Welcome. Interesting name you got there. lol.
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:58 am

Heh, a most appropriate response. I should've warned you all. :oops:
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:11 am

Oh there you are. Can I ask you a favour? Since the colour of thes board is somewhat skin tone, can you in future please not type in yellow/white/anything hard to read?

Thanks.

Potato

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:59 am

OH, NO! I'm sorry about that; I regularly post on another forum on which yellow and other such bright colors show up well and are popular to use, and coloring my text yellow has become a reflex. I didn't know I did that until just now--in fact, I almost just did it again! Thank you, sir.
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:19 am

Relaaaaax. It's ok, I forgive you. I was just worried about people who need to strain their eyes to read.

Also, I'm a 'she'. Just so you know. :)

Potato

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:19 am

Apologies; of all people, I should know not to assume, always preferring to keep my own gender under wraps for a while when I first visit a forum. Maybe I like it when people have to get to know me without being sure of the image of me that forms in their head...
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am

Eh don't worry about it. At one stage I thought cmoon was female (sorry).

[/freaking huge edit] Anyway. I'll refer to you in plural form, if you don't mind. Saying "Rock's Sunglasses is </insert nice compliment here>" just doesn't sound right.

Then if someone stares at me like a stunned llama, I'll tell them we have a member by that name.

Potato

Postby Rocku » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Nice to meet you! You and I are the same age...... almost..... (I'm assuming...) I'll be 20 in November.

Always love to meet another Rock fan. 8) I'm also excited that you enjoy fiction and art.
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 pm

Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:05 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:59 am

Oh and just in case you're confused about me (since we're all discussing gender), I'm male (though I'm kinda effeminate, despite my bad-ass, macho, Duke Davis sig).
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kuririn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Female, despite my avatar and username.

...I wonder if this was common knowledge on the forum, as I never really thought to bring it up before. :P
Image "Or the moment
when you know it's over and the nothing which you
have to say is falling all around you, lavishly,
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Potato

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Next

Return to Introductions