Greetings from Hicksville, USA!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Greetings from Hicksville, USA!

Postby WalkingParadox » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 am

Yeah. I've been meaning to join this website for some time. Anyways, I've been a Tezuka fan for maybe a year or so. It all started with Black Jack. Well, maybe not. I remember watching the 2003 Astroboy on Cartoon Network when I was a wee little thing. I guess I never really knew about Tezuka until Black Jack, though. In June, I head off for an anime convention as Black Jack, a dedication to the greatest manga artist ever.

It's just a shame that rarely anyone around me is into manga (if they are, they're hiding under rocks and away from me), and even my closest friends who are don't know jack squat about Tezuka. The libraries either don't have, or have incomplete series of Tezuka's in their sub-par manga sections and the book stores have only the most popular stuff (unfortunately meaning no reprinted Black Jack). So, lonely deprived little me has decided to join a Tezuka forum. What better way to talk about my passion without sounding like a raving fangirl (or not as much raving) while also learning so much more about the stuff I don't know?

Anyways, I love Black Jack, using all my internet resources to get my BJ fix. Adolf and Dororo are also great, Dororo being the only book I could find and purchase...

As usual, I'm getting ahead of myself. Hello all!
WalkingParadox

Postby volpino » Sat May 09, 2009 5:24 am

Hi! Yes, Tezuka's manga can be difficult to find. I have mine shipped from Spain (I'm from South America). They are printing a lot of Tezuka stuff in Europe, but iof course it's only a tiny fraction of all his work.

So far I've read most of Black Jack (several times), Metropolis (not as polished as his later stuff but amazing for 1949), and Above the air (short stories, very good).

I wish I could read japanese... there's so much manga that will never be translated, and besides it must be great to read it in the original language.
volpino

Return to Introductions