[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Introducing myself

Postby F-Man » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't normally make introduction topics but for a Tezuka fanbase it somehow seems more important to me.

Although I had an interest in Astro Boy which I was reminded of by a poster for the upcoming movie, and I had seen the Jungle Emperor Leo movie at some point (thanks to the Lion King controversy), I suppose what really got me into Tezuka was the Metropolis movie, which I saw without even knowing it was related to Astro. The movie had a setting which I thought was better than Blade Runner, character animation that kept on getting better till it could compare with Disney's Pinocchio, the best use of CGI blended with traditional hand drawings I had ever seen, an inventive sound track, and a very attractive character style. Obviously you all probably know how freaking good it is and I don't need to mention it. ;)

Anyway, been watching a few Astro Boy episodes here and there from all 3 series since then. Hasn't been easy considering I refuse to watch them dubbed. The stories are frankly amazing. I've ordered some of the manga too, in order containing the first stories, so I can read them in real publication order. Unfortunately the 2-3 weeks wait for the shipping is killing me. This will actually be the first manga I ever read. XD

I live in Quebec, Canada, I read both English and French. Hello to everyone. :)
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby strobe_z » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi F-Man... nice to see more Canadians around here!

A few points about the Astro Boy Manga... if you're talking about the English version released from Dark Horse (), I should let you know that the stories are not presented in the original publication order. They're presented in an order which was chosen by Tezuka - so if you want to read them "in order" you'll pretty much have to buy the whole set (23 I believe) and then pick out the stories in order of publication. I have a chart which lists the original publication dates.

If you're talking about the French release, I'm pretty sure it's not in publication order either... and it's also incomplete. There's an older set by Glenat which ceased publication after 12 volumes () and there's a new version coming out by Kana () which is simply a "best of" series only about 5 volumes in length.

Hope that helps.[/url]
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:28 am

Welcome, F-Man. I have created an index of Astroboy manga stories that has them in their proper order, & even shows which volume of the Dark Horse series each story is in. However, the list currently only shows the stories that originated in Shonen magazine:

BTW, it also features links to reviews of some stories. :lol:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby F-Man » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:51 am

F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Return to Introductions