[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - I'm a Newbie, Come Talk at Me!

I'm a Newbie, Come Talk at Me!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

I'm a Newbie, Come Talk at Me!

Postby Space Mouse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Name's currently Andrea, but I change it frequently. Space Mouse or just Mouse is fine, 'coz it's pretty hard to keep up with! Long story short-- I've been a casual Tezuka fan for a long time, and I'd like to get more involved. Problem is, he's written so much I have no clue where to start! So I figured this forum could help me out a bit, you guys seem friendly enough to not boot me.

A bit you should know about me: I'm a 16 year old lady with very little time on her hands. Fair warning that I tend to be very blunt and upset people on accident, don't take any of my word vomit to heart and we'll be cool. Believe it or not, I'm very social outside the internet, but the second I have to type things out all my charisma flies out the window and I'm that weird girl who sits in the corner, metaphorically speaking! It's the opposite of most awkward people, I figure!

Anyways, enough of my rambling! Feel free to tell me a bit about yourselves if you reply; I always enjoy meeting new people-- oh, and don't be afraid to ask for my Skype. It's a pleasure to meet you all!
Space Mouse

Re: I'm a Newbie, Come Talk at Me!

Postby strobe_z » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

welcome to the Tezuka in English forums Space Mouse. We just re-opened them, so it's still a bit quiet around here, but hopefully the discussion will pick up soon. We're glad to have you, and as long as you're respectful to your fellow board members, I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

Feel free to ask questions and don't be shy.
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm

WELCOME, Space Mouse! I have read just about every Tezuka manga published in English, so I am familiar with them. Which to read 1st depends on your likes. If you like zombies, there is DORORO. While it has no zombies, it does have many instances of weird creatures, many based upon Japanese folklore. I believe it is found in both a 3 volume set & a single volume. Amazon.com should have them.

I would go further, but if you state your preferences, I can save time by skipping thing outside you interests.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Space Mouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Hey there, jeffbert! Sorry if this reply goes through odd, I'm trying to answer on my phone. Thank you for the warm welcome! I saw that Anime Sols was taking donations for the Dororo anime, is it worth watching?
As for my tastes, I really like medical drama; Black Jack is the main reason I was drawn to Tezuka's other works. I'm a big fan of surrealism, so I'd love to read some of his more 'out there' stuff. Hm, I like psychological horror, but at the same time I'm very childish. So either his stuff for older audiences, or the complete opposite.
Wow, that was a novella! Thank you again for the help, Tezuka was very prolific, so I've been lost. ^^
Space Mouse

Postby F-Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Space Mouse » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Oh, hi F-Man! I've seen you around tumblr, I'm just too awkward to talk to you! Is there anywhere I could watch it legally while I'm waiting on Sol's release?
Space Mouse

Postby F-Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

DORORO is a series that features a lot of demons & supernatural content. But it also has horrendous cruelty of warlords' armies toward villagers. I had no idea that the hero, Hyakkamaru was blind, deaf, & mute, because he seemed to have all his senses & such. Yet, the manga made it clear that he had supernatural 'senses' & spoke into other's minds directly. I have not watched any episodes since reading the manga, but it might give a new understanding, even w/o English subtitles. It compares with several Phoenix arcs, which also feature extreme cruelty.

Despite all that, the story as a whole is rather interesting, & compelling.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Return to Introductions