[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Konichiwa!

Konichiwa!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Konichiwa!

Postby jonerik » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:14 pm

And konbanwa (since, as I write this, it's early evening). I live and work in the Boston area and have been a Tezuka fan since my family moved to New Hampshire in '72 (I was 8 at the time). My younger brother and I immediately discovered the "Speed Racer" and "Kimba the White Lion" broadcasts every weekday afternoon on channel 56 out of Boston and were hooked instantly. Both shows were the first Japanese cartoons we'd ever seen. I later became aware of "Astro Boy," but since it wasn't running in the Boston area by the time we arrived in New Hampshire, I don't think I ever saw an episode of the original series until maybe the late '80s.

I think I became aware at some point that Tezuka-san had been incredibly prolific, but since "Kimba the White Lion" was the only one that aired on any Boston-area stations after we moved to New England, I never saw any of the others that had been syndicated to US broadcasters.

Over the years I connected more and more dots and gradually became increasingly aware of how extensive his career had been. I somehow ended up with a Japanese girlfriend a couple of years ago (we met accidentally when she was visiting Boston), and have been over to Japan three times in the last year-and-a-half to visit her (she's also come over here once). I was struck by how popular Tezuka-san's work still is over there, and by how much of it is available - DVDs, books, new movies and TV shows being created based on what he did, and so on. My girlfriend's cousin and his wife wanted to name their kid either "Yamato" or "Atomu," but both sets of parents talked them out of it (the kid ended up being called Mirai).

Anyway, I just thought I'd introduce myself. Happy to be here!

Almost forgot! These are the original Japanese intros for a number of his shows - enjoy (man, I love YouTube...)!

jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:40 pm

Nice! We definitely have a little Tezuka thing going on in New England!

On the eve of the 28th in Providence I'll be airing Phoenix 2772 at an art gallery, might be worth the trip!
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:47 pm

Yes - sounds like we may have enough for a New England Tezuka Fans get-together.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Return to Introductions