[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Um... Hi, minna-san...

Um... Hi, minna-san...

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Um... Hi, minna-san...

Postby WarriorKalia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 am

Er, hi. Warrior Kalia. Long story as to how I got that name, but... suffice it to say, I am here. Ada-san helped me out with my username and such, so it tookme a bit. Mostly I haven't been lurking out-of-site on the forums, but I have been in and around the main site for a good few months, absorbing assorted information.

My collection of Tezuka work is pathetically small, to be honest- I can only name my fansubs of Black Jack and my copies of Nextworld off the top of my head. I still have to go rent Metropolis, and I've seen the OAV versions of BJ as well, which I guess is kind of how I got started on the whole thing. Being inexcusably late to the whole fandom, all I can do is ask for your patience and perhaps sympathy.

I am going to start a project when I get some more money, translating japanese collections of BJ into english as best I can. I'm only at the J2 level in college, [I'm 19] so translating a single story could take quite a while [I have a kanji dictionary, so it's not impossible, but...], but as a writer I feel it needs doing. The english-speaking world doesn't have near enough access to the medical genius of Black Jack, and I'd like to get my friend properly interested in it. Besides, I feel personally offended by the lack of manga in English [though I will say that the semi-recent translation of Buddha was a step in the right direction] becuase I almost feel like it's yet another attempt to censor Tezuka-sama [I know it's just an issue of money, but even so...] and my love of free speech runs hard up against this behavior. Maybe I can at least get Viz to sell the rights to the series over to Dark Horse- they seem to be pretty interested in the whole thing... [I actually enjoy everything I can get my hands on from Tezuka-sama, but as BJ was my primary exposure, I tend to talk a lot about that in comparison with everything else he's done...]

Okay, sorry, I got carried away ranting and stuff. I haven't been writing much recently, having not been online in about... um, a few months.

Also, I'm really interested in the RPG you guys have going, so I posted over there a bit ago. The timing is probably horribly off, but... Well, I figured I'd try anyway.

Anyway, here I am. I hope I can become an active and useful member of the community, despite my lack of Tezuka World base knowledge.

[By the way, is it weird that I have a total crush on Dr. Kiriko? I think it's a little odd at least, but I totally do... Maybe I'm just really good at analyzing people like him. Or maybe I'm crazy. I certainly write enough for the latter label...]
My favorite quote is suppposed to be here, but.. how do I put into a quote the sound of Black Jack's fist hitting Kiriko's face...?
WarriorKalia

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:39 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby WarriorKalia » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 am

Ahh, Rock. I laughed so hard when I started reading about him- He's like my character Norman, but in reverse. Norman started out as the host to the universal embodiment of darkness. Now, he's got a girl/boyfriend, several kids, and a severe case of lung cancer. Doesn't stop him from smoking though- and making sarcastic remarks about stuff, but he's always done that...

I noticed all the bizarre medical terms, but I think I might be able to get a bit of help in that area- my friend is an EMT, and I know about six or seven native Japanese students [and 2 teachers] on my campus, so I could always try hitting them up for some obscure term they might possibly know about. As for Pinoko, I think I've about got her method of speech down, though I might run into a couple of things I wouldn't get. I'll probably start off with non-Pinoko ones like you said, just in case...

Kiriko-san is rather impressive, isn't he? I think it's more my reflex to sympathize with the enemy kicking in, or it was at first anyway. He's got such pretty cheekbones... o_o
I dunno, I absolutely love Seymour from Final Fantasy X as well [which I subsequently made a lot more interesting by taking the religion and adding to it, but that's another story]. But I can tell there's an overly caring heart in that underfed chest of his- that's why he does what he does for a living. He needs some love and understanding, and maybe a short break from work as well.
My favorite quote is suppposed to be here, but.. how do I put into a quote the sound of Black Jack's fist hitting Kiriko's face...?
WarriorKalia

Tezuka reader

Postby iPood » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:07 am

Hey. Welcome to these forums. Btw, who are minna-san + ada-san.

I inferred that ada-san is putrocca, am i right?

edit. just saw putrocca's sig. sorry for the dumb question
iPood

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:49 pm

"minna" means everyone, so "hello mina-san" means "hello everybody."
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Huscheli » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah, "minna-san" is Japanese iPood :D

Hello WarriorKalia (what a cool name! :D)
Yeah Black Jack is great and honestly, while my other Black Jack-reading friend doesn't like him at all, I love Kiriko too. I don't even see him as that evil (okay that's maybe because euthanasia f
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Princess Sapphire » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:24 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Return to Introductions